Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:28:21 AM

Author Topic: I must be losing it  (Read 7245 times)

I must be losing it
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:15:25 AM »
I'm truly at wits end and am open to any of your good or otherwise suggestions.
My setup is a C23, Smooth stepper, Mach3 and all limit/home switches are hall.
On the mach3 diagnostics page all the 'input signal current state' LED's are perfect accept for the M3++ & M3Home which read the opposite of what I want (on my system M3 is the Z axis as normal).

Immediately I assumed (assumption being the mother of all...)it must have been the 'Active Low' selection in the input ports configuration page as the LED's in the diagnostics page switched perfectly but were switching the opposite way from what I'd like.

Then I inverted the 'Active Low' setting in the input port page and returned to the diagnostics page which was still doing exactly the same thing even if I save the config and close/restart the software. If I invert the 'Active Low' on any other input port it inverts the respective LED on the inputs page, just not for M3's.

I'm assuming that the hardware is sound insofar as all the hall switches are switching in exactly the same manner and use the same supplies.

Painfully I know it'll end up something small like a selection bit somewhere but I'll just so over the moon when I find it that even the pain of my stupidity won't ruin the moment  ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: I must be losing it
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:20:03 AM »
Did you make up a new xml when you hooked up the SmoothStepper? For some reason some people have issues if they just use their PP xml.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:30:54 AM »
It's a new install so I fitted it up with the smooth stepper to start with. On the smooth stepper viewing screen the port pin is switching in the same manner as the Mach3 diagnostics screen. Good call though, I had heard of such problems, thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:50:16 AM »
Might be worthwhile deleting the PlugIn and then reinstalling it.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 07:23:54 PM »
Good call Hood, I'll go do that today, thanks for that, I'll post my results back here tonight................thanks again  :D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 07:28:54 PM »
It will only be a good call if it works :D
Hope it does as it is a strange one :(

Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 02:48:00 AM »
Damn it. I went to work and didn't take my laptop (as it distracts me from my work too much). Tomorrow I'll take it and I think I'll just bite the bullet and re-install absolutely everything just so I know I'm covering all my bases. hopefully I can report some good news tomorrow  ;)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 02:14:59 AM »
OK, re-installed EVERYTHING and it was exactly the same. I thought that out of interest, even though I can see the hardware communicating, I'll swap the port and see what happens, sure enough that solved it. Now I'm not sure if I should be gutted or happy. It must be something like a bug in the software as the ports are set up and indicating exactly as before with the exception of the port number and the diagnostics screen. In any case, it's working so I can now carry on until I strike the next problem. Thanks very much for your suggestion Hood, although it may not have ultimately solved the problem it gave me some hope and helped eliminated the possability of a setup problem; thanks heaps :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 04:02:31 AM »
MIght be qorth letting Greg know about this, could be a bug in the plugin that he can easily fix.
 Good you are up and running though :)
Hood
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 04:10:51 AM »
I've directed him to this thread. Thanks and all the best