Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:46:20 PM

Author Topic: motors disengaging  (Read 4256 times)

motors disengaging
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:30:32 AM »
Running into problems with the motors disengaging.I have the 3 axis retrokit from lowcostretrofitcnc.com.I have servo motors with gecko drives.Sometimes they will stop multiple times during a cut and sometimes i can do the same cut with no problems.I can simulate the problem most of the time dropping z and trying to lift it up all the way.Sometimes it happens when all axises are turning.I have spoken with gecko.They said it sounded like loose wires.During a program i would do the wiggle test to all wires.Nothing happened.The highest i can adjust my z motor is 10 ipm and other axises around 20.I am told i can get a lot more out of them.Even set at these low settings it still disengages the drives.I spent the day checking the wiring,checked amps on motors when running to see if they built up high enough to see if this was the problem.It stabilized at 6-7 amps on z lift and the others were similar the default is 12-14.I checked common voltage on drive,error voltage,armature voltage.ultimately the power source voltage through multiple tasks to see if it stayed consistant.Which it did.Could it be the XML file?Any advise would great.Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: motors disengaging
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:53:58 AM »
When you say disengaging what exactly do you mean? Are they faulting? Do the DROs in Mach stop?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:28:19 AM »
The drives default and stop communication with motors untill i manually reset them.The dros in mach still work.I will attach my xml file

Edit: Removed file, Incorrect files, Chip
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:31:36 PM by Chip »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »
If the drives are faulting then its not likely Mach thats the problem. Will have a look at your xml though.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:15:25 AM »
Is it just the Z? Also you say 10IPM but you are set up in mm, were you just making an equivilent or have you sent the wrong xml?

Hood
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
It mostly happens on z however it also happens when other single or multiple axis are working.That is the only xml file i found.I purchased this mill already retrofitted.Is there another xml file?Did you notice any problems?The drives fault more when i try to speed up the velocity however these settings of 10 ipm are extremelly low.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 03:18:50 PM »
That xml is for a plasma and it is set up in mm. If you are using mill and imperial units then you must have another xml in your Mach3 Folder. Didnt see anything wrong as such but there was very little to see in it as there were no Inputs or Outputs set up, this makes me think its not the correct xml.
Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »
Hi, Keith

The xml file your looking for is shown in the properties for the icon you start Mach3 up with.

Chip