Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:23:09 PM

Author Topic: Slaved X axis motors acting up  (Read 3390 times)

Slaved X axis motors acting up
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:54:36 PM »
I didn't find anything regarding this using search.

I converted a Shopbot to run Mach 3 using an Ascension controller.  It's been running fine for a couple of weeks.

Yesterday my X1 motor suddenly quit.  After re-starting Mach a couple of times it ran fine.  Same thing today.  One of the X motors quit. Restarting the computer, controller and Mach got things going again.

I'm using Mach 3 V1.84

I'm not sure where to look for the problem.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Slaved X axis motors acting up
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:46:25 PM »
Check all cables are seated properly. When it happens again put a Voltmeter set to mv range on the port pins for the slaved motors step and a 0V pins and see if you get a voltage when you jog.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:33 PM »
Thanks Hood.  I'll go through the connections.

Is there any chance it could be a config setting?

When a Gecko dies, is it always short and sweet or can it go intermittent for a while on the way out?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 10:52:16 PM »
I have had an intermittant problem with Gecko drives which caused the drive to stop working - leave it for a day and it works fine again, turns out that it is a temperature issue.  I have installed a cooling fan in the control box and all is fine now.  I suggest you try an external fan blowing onto the drives or blow some compressed air over the drives every few minutes and see if that fixes the problem.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 03:58:20 AM »
It could be a Mach issue, thats why I was saying to check the pulses to the slaved drive when it happens again, if the pulses are reaching the breakout board then its a hardware problem, if they dont then its a Mach or parallel port problem.
 Never had a Gecko die so cant say but looks like Coastcutting may be on to something.
Hood