Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:25:35 PM

Author Topic: Connectivity Issues  (Read 6073 times)

Connectivity Issues
« on: July 08, 2008, 05:25:33 AM »
Help Help!

I installd Mach 3 and done the port setups as required by my stepper driver but no joy! What am I missing? TurboCNC and KCam both get my machine runnig but Mach3 doesnt do a thing, not even some jitter.

Everything is powerd up well but it's like there's a settirng I cant get to. It also appears that the LPT port is passive or "off" under Mach. Any ideas or suggestions?

I run XP with SP3 @2000MHz with 512Ram

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Connectivity Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:59:23 AM »
Have you installed the Mach 3 drivers and then restarted your computer ???
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 02:18:18 AM »
Well, yes many times. By installing "drivers" I assume allowing the entire setup program to run it's course? I had a look at my hardware config and noticed that I now have a "Mach pulser" installed. I cant config any setting on it.

I had a go with Quantum on my laptop but the same issue persists, no movement.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:08:12 AM »
Do you have the axis enabled? Do you have the correct pins asigned?
Are you using the Mach3Mill profile? If so please go to the Mach3 folder and find Mach3Mill.xml, copy it to your desktop and then rename it, then attach it to this thread and we can have a look. Suggest you rename it to Alwyn.xml

Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:30:55 AM »
Everything I think I need right is right. The board I'm using is the Tach42 from PMinMO so the pins are per that design. I have resorted to measure the voltage off the pins during operation but NO change. Interestingly enuf, if I enable the "Low active" triggers next to the motor pin setups I get a voltage reading but my step pins aren't pulsing.
 Here is the xml anyway as you requested Hood.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:00:09 AM »
you have three outputs enabled but no pins set for them, are any of them enables for your drives?
Try setting the Step pulse to 5 in motor tuning.
When you measured the voltage on the Step pin did you have the meter on mili volt range?

Hood
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:13:20 AM »
Ok, the Outputs are not connected to anything but I tried to enable them to see if it could make stuff move. I've reinstalled the program but still nothing. I set the Step pulse speed at 5 and Dir at 5. BTW, all outputs are now set to be disabled but when I "run" a program output1 flashes in the Diagnostics view. None of the pins show activity in this view either.

I'll post another xml of my configs.

thanks for all the help so far!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 03:24:30 AM »
Could there be a problem with the mode my Port is set to? I think at the moment is is set to Bi-directional. Is that ok?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 05:46:12 AM »
Output 1 flashes because you have spindle relay set to output 1, Config menu, Ports and Pins, Spindle Setup Spindle relay You have that box unchecked. Even if you dont have the pins and ports asigned it will still operate the LED if your G Code calls a M3,M4 etc

Get your voltmeter and disconnect the cable from the parallel port, put the meter to 5v range and put one lead to the X axis Dir pin and the other to one of  the ports 0V wires (see the Mach manual for a diag of the PP female connector) Jog the X one way then the next and your voltage should toggle between 5V and 0v as you toggle the axis direction.  If that happens then put your volt meter to milli volt range and connect to the X axis Step pin and 0v, jog the X axis and you should see a voltage there, the faster you jiog the higher the voltage will be but what the voltage is is unimportant.
 If both of these thiongs happen then your problem is from outside the computer, repeat the tests at the other end of the cable, if thats ok then check at breakout board etc.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
Ok, I took some readings, this is what I found:

Dir pin switches between 0.06 - 3.31 volts.
Step pin is very low at 0.05 - 0.17 volts during normal motor tune. If I set the velocity at maximum and accel at minimum I get a reading of 1.05 volts for the step pin.

I'm using the Tach42 board from the PMinMO site.