Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:00:48 AM

Author Topic: Understanding LC settings  (Read 5179 times)

Offline MarkR

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Understanding LC settings
« on: May 28, 2006, 12:54:23 AM »
I am attaching a DXF file of a control horn I am using as a test file for calibrating my new 3 axis mill I built. I am doing this so I can see if someone that knows what they are doing could maybe set it up in LC so I can compare it to what I am doing to see if I am setting it up properly.

I am not getting the compensation set correctly. The parts are coming out .050 smaller than I want.

Here is my set up: I am using a .0420 (#58) end mill. I set up this diameter in the tool set up on the main screen of Mach 3.

I am not sure what all of the settings are in the Layer Controls setting. I can figure out some of them, but I am not sure how the units are measured: is the settings in what ever the table is set in? So if I am set in inches, is the feed rate of +100.00 equal to 100 inches per minute? DOes this over ride the calbrated settings in the feed rate in Mach 3?

Final depth, Rapid height, start depth all in units per as set in the homing/limits in mach 3? (so in my case, inches?) Example, if start depth is set for +1.000 in the LC layer control, will it be +1.000 inch in Mach 3?

Also, a big curiousity for me is how I can draw a drill hole in a CAD program. This control horn has 3   .0420 holes for the wire controls to go through. I drew these as circles in the CAD program very small. I edited the G Code by removing the G2 codes and just made Z -0.1000 type replacements, but I am wondering if this is the right way to do this, or if there is a symbol I should put in my CAD files to be interpreted as a drilled hole the diameter of the end mill.

Whew! Thanks for the teaching!

Mark

Offline MarkR

•  25 25
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding LC settings
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 02:09:55 AM »
And for some reason, this file for a servo control horn won't import at all into LC... I know it's gotta be me, but here's the file in case it is not...

The first time I tried, it said it would not import splines. So, I converted all into lines, and tried again...

Am I doing something wrong? LC starts to import the file 'All Control Horns.dxf'  and then gives an error message "Can't import Splines"

The others simply shut LC down and returns me to Mach 3.

BTW, I am using DesignCAD v. 14 and exporting these files as DXF v 13. Is there one DXF file format I should choose? I can export up to DXF version 2000. I picked v. 13 because I thought I remember reading somewhere it was the most compatible, but that does not make sence to me... Is one version more compatiblethan another? (I guess it depends on the program that is importing the file :))

What is the best for LC?

Thanks again.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:20:50 AM »
I think I am going to have to do the video Today! I will do it and get it online tonight!

Thank you and is it okay if I use your file?
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 08:57:49 AM »
The 2nd set of .dxf's you posted are not drawn very well. Gaps in lines, overlapping segments, stray points. Clean, accurately drawn .dxf's will increase your chances of success exponentially. :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline MarkR

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 11:45:57 AM »
Hi Brian!

Yes! You may certainly use my files for your video.

As to the gaps, I made them on purpose!  I was making them to hold the part after it was cut. So that there is a little bit of material left holding the part to the rest of the sheet I was cutting it from.

How do you make these type of 'part holders' ?  Is there a setting in one of the programs, or do you leave the gaps as in the DXF files.

As to overlapping segments, now that IS sloppy and I didn't know I did it. I copied these from an imported set of drawings I got from the designer of the part, and that drawing was from a non-CAD program (it was exported as a DXF), so no telling what shape it was in. However, I thought I had cleaned it up.

Maybe this was the cause of the importing problems I had with LC.  Regardless, THANKS for the advice and help!

Mark

Offline MarkR

•  25 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 01:02:58 AM »
For what it is worth, I did find those stray points and lousy drawing elements you referenced. I will have to watch for this in the future. Thanks! Didn't know to look before :)