Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:17:22 AM

Author Topic: Setting up a 4th axis?  (Read 14239 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up a 4th axis?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »
While we are on the subject of this,
 I have a fairly big Bristol Erickson indexing head that I am planning on converting to a 4th axis at some point in time. It has a worm driving it at the moment but it has too much baclash for my liking and no way of adjusting it without major headaches. I am planning on removing the gear and getting a big timing pulley to put over the spindle (2inch bore I think) I will then fit one of the AC Servos I have with a 6:1 backlash free gearbox that it came with and fit a timing pulley to it. The servo has a 2000 line encoder so resolution wont be a problem, it also has a continuous stall torque of 10Nm so with the 6:1 box that will be 60Nm continuous (8500 ozin approx) I will have a 10 inch chuck on the axis.
Anybody see problems in doing this?

Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »
Now my head is spinning but I do think I'm starting to "get it",  :D So a 30:1gearbox is less than half of a 72:1 rotary table, correct?

Chip, that is indeed the size stepper I'll be using. It's a 282 oz. nema 23 motor that should be perfect for this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 04:25:42 PM »
Dave,
There are are probably 5-10 small rotary tables out there for a small mill. Three of us, over time, ended up getting the Sherline because we felt the quality was better. But only you can decide. Motors used were 100 & 125 in oz.. If you make your own base for mounting the motor you can save a bunch of $. You can mount it to a right angle plate
( maybe get one from Encho for $20-30).  Then treat yourself to a nice chuck on what you saved. I can post a picture of what i did if you wish.
RICH
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 04:27:35 PM »
That sound good Hood.
Only possible problem that I see is the belt being the weak link in that all of the cutting/tooling pressure during anX axis move will be against the belt instead of the "Metal to Metal" contact in a normal gear arrangement. Maybe use a brake of sorts ?
Should be fine for lighter cuts in softer matl though.
RC

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »
Dave,
There are are probably 5-10 small rotary tables out there for a small mill. Three of us, over time, ended up getting the Sherline because we felt the quality was better. But only you can decide. Motors used were 100 & 125 in oz.. If you make your own base for mounting the motor you can save a bunch of $. You can mount it to a right angle plate
( maybe get one from Encho for $20-30). Then treat yourself to a nice chuck on what you saved. I can post a picture of what i did if you wish.
RICH

That would be fantastic, Rich, I'd love to see a pic. As for the sherline, I'm considering buying one and have no problem retrofitting a motor to it but haven't I read somewhere that you can't just add a motor to the manual model sherline table? I could've sworn I read that you have to buy the CNC version of their table for that particular use? Or is that just mumbo jumbo and the worm drive is exactly the same?

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »
Dave,
Will post some pictures in the show and tell ( tomorrow ) with additional info so this post dosn't get off on a tangent. Three of us  have converted the manual one. Here are some angular to linear conversions which you may find usefull in relating to angular positioning:

ANGLE     PER INCH      PER 3"         PER FOOT         
1 SEC       .000005"     .000014"     .00006"
30 SEC     .00014"       .00044"      .0017"
1 MIN       .00029        .00087"      .0035"

So if you were to drill a hole out from the center 3", then index 3 min, and drill another hole, the distance you have between the holes would only be approx .003".

I use mine primarily for positioning.
RICH 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »
That sound good Hood.
Only possible problem that I see is the belt being the weak link in that all of the cutting/tooling pressure during anX axis move will be against the belt instead of the "Metal to Metal" contact in a normal gear arrangement. Maybe use a brake of sorts ?
Should be fine for lighter cuts in softer matl though.
RC

Timing belts seem to be very hardy things, when I was setting the servos on the lathe up I was testing the stiffness of the settings by putting a long bar  on the ballscrew pulley and watching for encoder movement in the software. If I could feel movement on the bar the encoder was twitching, I could set the stiffness such that the only time I felt any movement in the bar was when I applied so much pressure that the drive faulted.
 This amazed me at how good timing belts were, I thought that there must be quite a bit of give in them, after all they are made of a fairly soft material but amazingly there seemed to be no noticeable movement at all.

Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 07:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the info and the future pic as well, Rich. What kind of backlash can I expect from the Sherline?

Dave->    ;)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 08:26:29 PM »
Hi Dave

30:1 (Based on 200 stepper) would give you 200 X 30 = 6000 steps per. 1 turn, .06 deg.'s per step, 16.666666 (steps per.) 1 Deg.

Depending on the Accuracy you need, This may be fine, Not Sure.

Mach can only move to within 1 (stepper/encoder step's), So 1 Deg move 16.666666 step's will be Rounded up to 17 steps, .00000001 to .5. Rounds Down, .50000001 Rounds Up.

Mach keeps track of the Remainders (+'es -'es), To 16 decimal places or more .00000000000000001, If my Memory is Correct.

There applied to the next move to the Nearest 1 step and so-on and so-on............

It's like your other axises, The combination of Stepper's or Encoders count pre. turn and the relationship with Gearing/Ball screw's Ratio's.

You need 10,000 steps (Per.) "Unit" (Inch or MM) to get .0001 Accuracy.

It's All a trade off, Speed and Accuracy, Best I Now.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:39:41 PM by Chip »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 10:48:01 PM »
I can't imagine that not being enough and I just may grab that gear box to at least give it a try.

Thanks so much for taking the time, Chip!!   :)

Dave->    ;)