Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:35:32 AM

Author Topic: Power supply in parallel  (Read 10589 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Power supply in parallel
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »
ostie01,

Your driver board max power supply rating is 32VDC@7A, with a recomended supply of 24VDC@7A.
Now if you were to use two power supplies wired in parallel you could get 24VDC@12A which is over the driver board rating.
This is not good.

Should the filtering quality of the power supplies be inferior, a properly rated capacitor may be desired. My preference would be to provide the additional filtering and some surge capacity via the capacitor if they were parallel connected ( but that's only my opinion).

I only glanced thru the 20 pages of the power supply manual and noticed there is info on series and parallel wiring.
Pay attention to it.

With no motor curve info, which relates wiring confirguration to speed, torque @ some voltage, you can not forecast motor preformance ( it will be trial and error in finding it via tuning). The driver board info shows max individual drive fusing to be 2.5A.  This says any individaul stepper current draw will be limited to 2.5A MAX which futher defines how you would wire the steppers.
Also as a total ( three steppers with a total current draw should not exceed the 7A rating of the board ).

RICH

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 04:28:45 PM »

as quite rightly picked out by Ostie01 , which i missed , your driver board is under rated for the current requirement your motors need
i'd suggest you look for a better matched drivers such as Geko's for these motors

Dave 
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 02:25:24 AM »
Thanks for your help guys, really appreciated.

Will try to find a better board for my motors.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 02:05:59 PM »
I might argue a little bit with Dave about the current required wiring these in parrllel, but - yes - in the scheme of things your power supply is not adequate even to supply two of these motors when running at full chat.

I would get Gecko 201 drives. These are rated at up to 7 amps, but are fully adjustable up to that - e.g. mine are set at 4 amps, but they are also capable of running up to 70 volts (or so). You will find that your motors as they are will run better on the power supply you have, but when you can afford to uprate the power supply to say 36 volts at 20 - 24 amps, they are sturdy enough to cope with that as well._

As a stop gap limit the Geckos to match the pwoer suppy you have to avoid any problems.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.