Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:44:25 AM

Author Topic: Dxf desgn for the Lathe?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Dxf desgn for the Lathe?
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
Ok, so forgive me but I'm not a CNC lathe guy, heck, I'm barely a CNC mill guy  :D but I will be attempting to put together a CNC lathe in the near future so I need a bit of info/help here if you don't mind?

I have no problems drawing up a dxf of a part for the mill, yet, I'm not sure how to start to draw a dxf for the lathe. Am I to just draw half the diameter/profile and then import that into my cam program?

I will be trying to use "LCam Turn" but I'm honestly not sure where to begin. It's funny, I've been a "manual" guy for over 20 years and when it comes to some of this design stuff, I'm a complete idiot lol!

Thanks for your help-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
Re: Dxf desgn for the Lathe?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:24:09 PM »
Hello Dave,
 You and I are in the same boat. The only CNC machine I've ever touched is the one I built.
I was just starting to get a grip on LCam Turn when development stopped and LazyTurn took off.......then paused. (French word for "Stop"). Very similar as far as loading files but better...I think.
Anxious for LTurn to take off again, a daunting task for ART I'm sure.
Then we can figure it all out. I wouldn't spend too much time on LCam Turn, I doubt that it will be resurrected.
RC

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »
Thanks, RC, I guess I will be keeping a sharp eye on LazyCam for now and just hope something happens fairly soon. Do you by any chance have any example dxfs for turning that I could load and try out?

Thanks again for your time-
Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 02:38:15 PM »
Hey Dave,
 I had a bunch of files that I was experimenting with but it seems I lost them when I moved up a version...might have overwritten them.
I may find some later. Could look back through the LCam forum topics for some good examples, that's where I got a lot of what I had.
Wish I had more for ya.....anything comes, I'll let you know.
ART will pull through with LTurn...I'm certain of it.
Then we'll be in "High Cotton".
RC

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »
Thanks, RC, I read through the complete thread and it's interesting to see how everything is evolving. Got some of the examples and played around a bit today and even found some ways to end up playing in Mach Turn and crashing my PC a few times. Not very stable just yet, eh? lol!!

Ah well, it's fun for now  ;)

Dave->    ;)