Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:28:46 AM

Author Topic: Configuring the spindle relay  (Read 7329 times)

Configuring the spindle relay
« on: June 19, 2008, 01:20:00 AM »
I've been scratching my head for a while, double-checking the hardware, and now I think it's the software. I have a spindle relay connected to pin 1. In the diagnostic screen, if I toggle 'Spindle Toggle', Output 1 toggles, but that doesn't translate to any change on the actual parallel port. Is there a way to configure 'Output 1' to toggle pin 1? Thanks!

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Configuring the spindle relay
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 02:04:16 AM »
Hi, RChadwick

In config, ports & pins, "Outputs", Do you have this set up, May also need to change the Active Low setting.

Chip

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:34:45 AM »
You do not say what type of spindle control you have i,e, how do you reverse it if needed.

Mach 3 can cater for both M3 (clockwise rotation) and M4 (counter clockwise rotation). Basically you can wire in two relays, one for forwards and one for backwards. An M5 command turns both off. The Spindle toggle button activates an M3 command.

On Config/Ports and Pins/Spindle Setup - in the top left hand corner, you need to set Mach to activate M3 and M4. Untick the box if it is ticked. Then select an Output# for M3 and M4. Outputs 1 and 2 are already "pencilled in" but you can use any.

Under Ports and Pins/Output Siganls then assign your M3 output to whatever pin - in your case pin one.

A little thinking ahead here can save you a lot of time and money. The four output lines are probably used with relays to control spindle and coolant. I use a single Darlington array chip (a driver that converts logic signals to drive relays - at a cost of less than £1) to drive four 5volt relays mounted on a small board. I led the output leads from the relays to a connector strip on the edge of my control box so I can access them without disturbing the box again. The relays already have wires running back to the Bob and I can connect individual relays to my Bob board as required. At the moment I use two for M3 and M4. The others will be for coolant when I get that fixed up.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:39:07 AM by jimpinder »
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
Well, I oopsed with the 'Ports & Pins' screen. I confused port with pin, and thought it was already set at 1. I changed it, but it's still not working. It is a single relay, it's a small machine with no way to reverse spindle (Collet holder is screwed on, I'd have flying tools if I reversed :)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »
Another question... Is Output 1 automatically configured as a spindle control, or do I have to configure somewhere that the spindle uses Output 1?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »
Hi, RChadwick

In config, ports & pins, "Spindle Setup", Do you have these set up to M3 output 1 and Disable Spindle Relay un-checked.

Chip

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 02:11:42 AM »
Try another output pin. There should be plenty. I have heard of PC's with faulty pin 1's - which was a strobe pin, whatever that was.

You can use any available output pin - 2 - 9, 14,16 and 17. I actually use pins 8,9 for my M3 and M4 . The same applies however - Config/Ports and Pins/Spindle Setup - untick disable spndle relays, and select an output number.
Config/Ports and Pins/Output Signals - allocate the output to the pin of your choice.

If you are set up and you do M3 command, you can check the breakout board and see if the signal changes. M5 turns it off.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 01:57:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help. It seems I had two problems, one hardware and one software. I've got the config problem fixed, and now I can concentrate on my hardware oops :)