Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:58:30 AM

Author Topic: Anybody using Mach on an Okuma Lathe?  (Read 7690 times)

Offline NJC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
Anybody using Mach on an Okuma Lathe?
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:44:35 PM »
I just purchased an older Okuma Lathe, LB15, wondering if anyone has retrofitted one of these to run on Mach?

Scott

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody using Mach on an Okuma Lathe?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »
This will be interesting. What kind of controls does it have now?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline NJC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 08:39:35 AM »
Hey Brett, it has an OSP5000 control, apparently there is an intermittent problem with the control booting up. It's an older machine and control with a tape reader, mechanicals are in very nice shape with Fanuc servos. The Okuma guys seem to think the control is a good one and there is a device that takes place of the tape reader and accepts input from a pc. I'm interested if anybody has done a retro to Mach and how easy or difficult it is, if there ends up being a good reason to replace the control, Mach may be a good replacement.

Scott

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 09:02:42 AM »
Do the drives or can they be set up to accept step and direction signals rather than analog?

Brett

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:20:56 PM »
With the age of the machine I would think the servo drives will be analog only so that would be a problem. Got any pics of it?
Hood

Offline NJC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »
Brett and Hood, I have no idea. I ran into this problem with my older Bridgeport as well, Kcrouch and I have been working on it to get it figured out... we're close, well, Kenny's close ;D  He's been a huge help!! I was afraid it wouldn't be easy, then again if it were, everybody would be doing it.

Anyway, here are a few pics

Scott

Offline NJC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »
Here are a few more pics...

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 09:03:05 PM »
Sorry NJC, It will never run. I think you need to just truck it to me so I can put it with all the other old things I have. I'm hold out on scrap steel to go up a little more.  ;D

That is a nice looking machine NJC!!!!!!!!! I hope I have one like that one day. We need to figure out what makes the drives tick. I'm not familiar with that one at all. If the drives can accept step and direction they will be fine. I doubt that is the case though. You may be able to find converters that will change the step and direction signals to analog. I can't recommend any of those as I have never used any. Another option would be to get new drives and possibly motors.

I have sent you a Personal message.

Brett

Offline NJC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 09:27:39 PM »
LOL, with how much this beast weighs, it's almost worth it's value in scrap these days ??? It's worth way more than that to me though, of course.

Thanks, I think it will be a great addition to my shop, can't wait to get it running. I appreciate you being willing to help out!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 04:27:55 AM »
Dont listen to Brett, he wouldnt have a clue what to do with it, it would just end up sitting beside his Hurco for the next 10yrs :D
 Do you have schematics for it? If not then you will have a lot of work figuring out how everything is connected, wont be easy but could be done. I recently did a Lathe of similar size or maybe a bit bigger but I had the schematics and fortunately had someone who was familiar with the schematics and was able to give me a lot of pointers in reading them.
 I remember someone on the forum saying CNCTeknix were working on a StepDir to Analogue converter so might be worth giving them an email.
Hood