Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:07:52 PM

Author Topic: cable question  (Read 3546 times)

cable question
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:46:48 AM »
I am running a techno-isel model 067  with servo motor control and am still using a g code controller card running in dos.  I would like to upgrade to Mach 3 using windows.
The cable connection to my computer card is an  external scsi cable  centronics 50 pin connection.  I need to connect to the printer port to run Mach 3 and this uses a  25 pin connection. I'm thinking  need a cable adapter.  Is that all I need?
Thanks in advance
Rob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: cable question
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:05:36 AM »
You will probably need more than that, you will need to know the pinout of your machine and than connect that to the correct pins on the parallel port so its unlikely that the adapter would do.
Hood

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:56:18 PM »
Are you getting a new computer to run this, or using the existing one, with Windows installed.

Hood - If a new computer is on the cards I was thinking that Smooth Stepper would be a quick and effective solution - but you are the expert on that.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 02:08:07 AM »
SmoothStepper would indeed be a nice choice but as it mimicks two parallel ports (plus some encoder inputs) then you will still need to know the pinouts and connect apropriately.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:04:50 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for your time and help.
After reading about pinouts ( this is all foreign  to me) I took out the manual and it does discuss pins etc.
It also points out that that there is an auxiliary serial port connection.  Is there a way that this connection can be used?
Techno has its own windows control software but they want $1,500.  I believe their software connects using this serial port

Thanks again

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:36:16 AM »
Serial port connection is no use for Mach, well not for main control, it can be used for non time critical things such as a PLC. Even if it was possible you would still need the pinouts so that yopu could configure Mach to the right pins.
 First thing you need to do is find out what the pinouts are and also make sure that your machine uses Step and Direction signals. Did your machine come with electrical diagrams? they should show the pinouts.
Hood