Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:15:51 PM

Author Topic: Starkstrom MPG connection  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
Starkstrom MPG connection
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:43:18 PM »
I have been given a Starkstrom MPG and wondered if anyone could advise me how to hook it up via the parallel port. I have searched both this forum and the yahoo groups, and looked through the main manual but can't see anything for actually connecting the wires.
The back of the MPG has four screw terminals : S90, +UB, 0V, S0, and I am assuere it is a 5 volt device. I have attached a photo which, usefully, shows an internal wiring diagram ...I think !

Thanks ...Sweep

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Starkstrom MPG connection
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:07:57 PM »
I would think +Ub is your 5V and 0v is your zero volts. The other two will be your A and B channels. It wont really matter which way you have them round at first as it will just be a case of swapping if the axis moves the wrong way. I would think the S0 would be A and S90 would be B.
 I think I would try this out by attaching to a scope before I connected it to the parallel port just in case its not right.
Hood

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:28:24 PM »
So a 5v supply from, say a USB, to power the MPG and then wire the S90 and S0 to two inputs from the parallel port, plus the 0v ?
I guess this info must be in the main manual but I just can't see it

thanks ...Richard

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
Yes thats correct, then just go to Ports and Pins and MPG Encoder page and asign the ports and pins you have chosen to the MPG. As I said I would be wary about hooking it up to a port without testing it with a scope first, if you dont have a scope you could use a voltmeter on milivolt range and spin the MPG, you should see a voltage whiich will increase as you spin faster. The only problem with the voltmeter is you wont get the true voltage that is coming out and you wont be able to see the wave form.

Hood

Offline Sweep

•  150 150
    • View Profile
    • pollz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Thanks Hood.
I have a digital oscilloscope so I will give it a spin hooked up to that first.

...Sweep

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:09:31 PM »
Let us know how it goes.

Hood