Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:00:44 AM

Author Topic: HELP Calibration Questions  (Read 4353 times)

HELP Calibration Questions
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:02:26 AM »
I have finally got my system running smoothly. Now I need to set it up so that it moves 1.00" accurately . I think I may also need to fine tune the motor step units also.  I run 1.8 deg. motors, 1/2-10 Acme screws. I also have issues with Math. so the doing of the numbers is not reliable when I do them. Given those values, what should the steps per be set at. Will my axis move 1.00" , or say, 12.00" x 20.00" and be correct ?. I really need some help with this, It's my only road block to good operations. I'm not making watches just need good solid numbers to work with. Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: HELP Calibration Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 09:26:13 AM »
Go to the settings page and run the steps setup button, it will work it out for you. I prefer to workl it out manually but I dont know why as I have checked with the button and it does it the same :D
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 09:42:29 AM »
Heres where it is just in case you dont see it.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:10:18 PM »
I've done that, the calculate button thing. I get a window asking how far I want to move. What do I need to input. 200, 2000, 1?. How do I tell if it's correct. Well when I move my Z axis down to the table I get a DRO reading of 52.8 something. something. I've only got a travel of three point two five max. 3.25 max. Whats up there? I don't get this. it's obvious I need to held by the hand here. I'd like to resolve this issue so I can get started.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »
You tell it t move whatever distance you can accurately measure. If you have verniers or digital verniers then you can tell it to move any distance within their range, if you just have a dial gauge then command a move within its range.
 First of all it is best just to use a tape measure as a first run, this will get you to the nearest mm or 1/16inch then you can run again from there with the caliper or dial gauge to refine it.
 An important thing to remember is to move the axis in the same direction as it has just moved in, that way if there is any backlash in your screws it wont affect this setup procedure.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »
So you mean that if I want to move the Z in the plus 1.25 I should input that and measure to see if it did,?. If it doesn't what then?.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 05:36:28 PM »
Yes thats correct, when its moved that distance you will then be asked to enter the true distance that the axis has moved, when you input that Mach will do the calcs and set the steps per for that axis. You may find that you need to retune you axis as it may be a vastly different number than what you presently have.
Hood