Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:36:48 AM

Author Topic: Diameter input coords....  (Read 5082 times)

Offline Tarak

•  229 229
    • View Profile
Diameter input coords....
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
Hi Guys,
This grinding machine I've made is much the same as a lathe, X is Ø, and Z is length.
When I'm dressing a profile on a wheel, I need to enter twice the distance for X axis, because it's set to move 1/2 the distance per side, which work out to the correct in Ø.....huh
So if I'm dressing a profile that is 90° included and a small 1.00mm radius on the point, I need to enter the following:

G1 X10. Z-5.
G2 Z-1.41 R1.
X-10. Z-5.

I've noticed that the angles are perfect but the radius always seems to come out alot flatter that it should.
Do I need to compensate somehow for the way I've got it set on X axis (only actually moves in half of what you specify)?
Darc

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Diameter input coords....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 04:04:10 AM »
To get you x axis actually doing the required distance, without having to "double up" then alter the "steps per unit" on config/motor tuning.

If you double that up X will actually move what you say. It might help with the "corner" as well
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Tarak

•  229 229
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
Thanks for your help jimpinder, if possible I would like to keep it set as Ø.
Whne grinding down a Ø, I think it would be confusing to have to move the wheel in half of what you need to take off.
I'm just a bit fuzzy on how a lathe knows to compensate when doing a radius, I can't help but wonder if there is a setting I've missed.
Thanks
Darc

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:50:36 PM »
Mach 3 Lathe will operate in either diameter mode or radius mode.

It is really quite simple - but not, I think what you want.

If you are in radius mode, then measurements on the x axis are treated as a radius and no adjustment is made. If in diameter mode, all measuements are diameters - but the lathe merely divides by 2 before it applies the x axis movement, so that when the cut is made, the resultant diameter is correct.

You appear to be wanting something else - as far as I can see. You appear to want this grinder to go the full distance across the diameter of the face of the work (not half it) - what exactly does the grinder do ???
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Tarak

•  229 229
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »
It's basically a cylindrical grinder, and we sometimes dress a profile on the wheel.
When you say Diameter mode do you mean there is a proper setting or do you mean just how I have it set at half the steps/increment in motor tuning?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:35 PM »
There is a proper setting, I use Dia mode all the time, much better just typing in G1X30 and the tool is at 30mm dia :)
 Go to Config, Ports and Pins then Turn options.
Hood

Offline Tarak

•  229 229
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »
Thanks Hood, is it possible to use this setting without using the screen as a lathe style screen.
Is this setting only for the toolpath window to display half of the commanded move?
Darc

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 02:55:31 AM »
I am not sure, I think you will have to use MachTurn but you could make up your own screen. I think if you used a Mill screen when using Turn then you will hit other problems as a lot of buttons etc are mill related.
 Making a screen is fairly easy, I dont particularily like the way the turn screen set is layed out, probably because I was used to a mill type screen layout, I made my own up based on the Mill screen I had made. To be honest my Lathe screenset is not finished, it was just done quickly to allow me to use the lathe,with each use of the lathe  I know what I actually need on the screen and have added some things that werent there and removed stuff that was. When I get a bit of time I will re-do my lathe screenset to exactly suit the way I work.
Hood