Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 10:01:31 PM

Author Topic: Fun with Mach3 at the shop  (Read 6453 times)

Fun with Mach3 at the shop
« on: December 02, 2005, 12:04:17 PM »
Here are some pic's from work that Nate from work put up :) You can see that we have the CNC Plasma running now :o The cuts were made on a 10Deg slop to test the plasma's THC that we built. The THC is a DL06 PLC and a Little VB that Nate and I worked on. The cut was made a 18IPM so the THC was doing a little work.

The other pics are a mold the we cut to show off / test Mach3. It took 45 min to run the part at 35IPM... If I had more spindle speed I could have run it much faster! The mill is a series 2 Bp with Gecko drives and a VFD spindle.

http://machsupport.com/Coppermine/index.php?cat=10017

Have fun :)

Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
Re: Fun with Mach3 at the shop
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 02:07:55 PM »
Hi Brian,

I found your old post regarding a THC with DL06 controller and was considering something similar.

On this setup, did you use an Analog input on the DL06 to accept a torch voltage signal?  Did you have a filter between the torch volts connection and the PLC?

Did the DL06 control the torch height outside of Mach - and perhaps use the DL06 high speed outputs to drive a stepper?

Did you use the PID loop in the DL06 to control the torch height.  I'm guessing that you had the DL06 linked to Mach via Modbus?

How well did that setup work?  Did you have any noise issues with the PLC and the Plasma cutter.

Do you still have the VB that you used to make that setup work?

Also, are you planning on attending the Mach conference in Knoxville?  Is Art going?  That is within driving distance for me and I will be more than ready to head for even a slightly warmer climate by February! 

Thanks,

Dave
Cole Controls Inc.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 05:37:19 AM »
broken link?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:39:41 PM »

Offline lemo

•  135 135
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 04:11:38 PM »
Darn links... always break after about 6 month.
I bought a Bridgeport Link Fixer Attachment on e-bay recently.
Links made with that will last longer!
Lemo
Cut five times and still to short...

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 04:34:12 AM »
ouch  ::)
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 01:57:23 PM »
Hello,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... I have not had the time to be on the forum in the past months :( I have been working like a mad man!

Okay this is what I did with the PLC:
Analog from the plasma unit goes into the PLC (Unfiltered) I get the data into Mach3 (Over ModBus)and I made a Plugin that has a PID loop to filter the Analog that it gets... This seems to work well! The only problem that I have is com times from the PLC to Mach3... This was a long time ago and I have no idea if I even have the code for that anymore :( I was thinking that I should work on that again as I love the idea of having the THC in code and not hardware! I like the fast that it is also a PID loop and not a simple up down command... From the testing that I have done it has real promise... 

I will nt be at the workshop... My wife is due about that time and I would like to see my son into the world ;) Other then that I would have been there!

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com