Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:40:22 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Release questions and the usual CV question  (Read 25313 times)

Re: Mach3 Release questions and the usual CV question
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 02:07:12 PM »
I can't swap motors I don't think, the Z Axis stepper motor is a smaller motor than the X and Y, and I have no idea how to change around the drives? I have been put in contact with a company out of Cambridge Ontario, maybe we'll have him come up here to really check everything out.

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 05:26:01 PM »
if you have access to a dial gauge set it up to measure the z platten holding your router , and see if it is infact any movement in your slides or ballscrew etc ,
it could even be your router motor bearing etc , may be worth a look

Dave
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »
I'm simply cutting deeper than needed to make sure the bit cuts all the way through. Things are working much nicer now, between the contacts I was given, they've gotten me fairly settled. I do have a new question unrelated to the above issues. Does anyone cut ATR/FibreLAM panels? I'm trying to find out if there's a way to cleanly router out these panels without the inner honeycomb fraying and leaving messy edges. The pictures attached are the router bit I'm using and the resulting edge finish of the honeycomb. The woodshop guys here are very keen to point out that they can cut the panels better by hand with a tablesaw.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 10:32:43 AM »
This should be interesting! That is going to be tuff i would think with a rotary tool. I have heard of freezing rubber with a crogenic procedure so it can be machined and hold a nice finsh. I'll ask around too, but this is a tuff one I think. Hopefully someone else will have a quick fix. Have you asked different bit suppliers for suggestions?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
How about a small high speed circular saw mounted on the Z using Tangential control ?
Internal corners would be a prob but outside cuts might be OK.
Just a thought,
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 10:42:39 AM »
High Helix cutter may help or may make it worse LOL
Hood
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »
Well I'll be cutting a bunch of parts today that make up the Aft wardrobe in our bigger jets. I'm going to try another style bit we have here, Onsrud 67-324, here's Onsrud's Composite catalogue, https://www.onsrud.com/oc/pdf/THINKComposites.pdf
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »
In that Onsrud catalog, they list a Honeycomb cutter 30-300 series- Have you tried that?

Sid

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 01:35:33 PM »

Me second area where I need assistance is with CV and rounded corners. I can only get the square corner cuts I want right now with Exact Stop, but I've been warned by my MasterCAM people that it is really hard on the CNC machine. They told me I needed to play with accel/decel curves to get what I want. I guess this pertains to my question about release versions as well.
- Does the latest version of Mach3 handle CV better than my older release?

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, but two other ways to minimize or get rid of round corners with CV mode are

1) Use G41/G42. This will give you a toolpath with corners having the same radius as the tool, which gives a square corner with a rounded toolpath. The larger the tool, the more luck you'll have at getting rid of the round corner.

2) Create offset toolpaths with a radius corner the same as the tool. Basically create the comped path in your CAM package.

Both methods do the exact same thing, and if your accel is fast enough, they may work for you.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »
Thanks, I played with the feedrates and acceleration for all 3 axis to fine tune as much as possible. I ended up with:

X
feedrate = 400 in/min
acceleration = 60 in/min/sec

Y
feedrate = 400in/min
acceleration = 60in/min/sec (I could go faster on Y, but I thought it should be equal to the best i could get out of X?)

Z
feedrate = 40in/min
acceleration = 10in/min/sec

I'm just going to go with Exact Stop and forget CV mode then. I'm cutting $1000 a sheet aircraft honeycomb panels that have to be exact, rounded corners of any sort are unacceptable.

I believe my version of Mach3 is a lockdown version.

Hi, I have the same router only 52-100 shopcam. I got the frame and built my own controller. I am sure I know what company you work for and I am in the same city. I was wondering if you still have the shopcam? and if you do, what kind of motor setting you have in the motor tuning? I am trying to mill multiple circles and the circles generally start ok then gradually get worse then the machine totally loses position in the X axis by about an inch.  I am not sure if I am running the machine too fast to mill circles (100in/min)  and this is causing missed steps. can anyone help?