Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:39:58 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Release questions and the usual CV question  (Read 25314 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Release questions and the usual CV question
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »
1. I am not sure you will manage to do that, messing with the settings to suit your particular machines rigidity and Velocity/Acceleration may find a sweet spot but it will be trial and error.

2. Sorry cant think of anything that could make this happen.

3. Mach should always stop at your limits, how are they set up, are they normally closed asn all connected to one pin?

What Version of Mach are you running?

Hood
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 03:35:45 PM »
Mach3 can't follow a sine curve without thinking that it needs to treat the smooth transitions from curve to curve as Exact Stop?  ???

And as far as the limits go, I'll add some pictures for detail.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 04:37:21 PM »
Hi, GTRacer

Your Z axis Velocity and Acceleration may be set to high in Motor Tuning.

The G00 Z.25 moves at "max vel & accl" values in motor tuning.

Run the Att. G-code file I changed your G00 Z.25 to G01 Z.25 F40.

Chip

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 04:46:57 PM »
Yes Mach can follow a sine wave in CV mode, the problem arises when a machine cant follow a sharp corner due to the velocity and acceleration relationship of the axis. This is where you may need to  use the CV settings on the Config page and that is why I said it is specific to individual machines and that messing with the settings will find a sweet spot for your individual machine. As an example, I dont need any CV settings  in config for me to be able to do sharp corners in CV but a fast light machine may need them.

Hood
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
Here is a good read on CV, the related settings and their effect.
http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach3_CVSettings_v2.pdf
Might help, maybe you have it already.
RC
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 08:31:34 AM »
I was wondering if there was a possibility that the accel and velocity of the Z was too high. I ran some tests yesterday, one of them was simply to bring the tool down and zero it off the table as the new Z zero. Then I began typing in manual lines of code, just random G00 X Y Z movements all over the table. I then brought the bit back to the exact spot I touched off of and it was out 3 to 4 thousandths. I also ran a cutting program after that and the Z depth "drifting" was worse than ever. The material was 1/2" MDF that varied between .504 and .518. Some Z cuts cut all the way through and others left varying thickness of material left.

EDIT: If the table was actually the problem, the bit should have cut the proper break thru at the XY spot that I zeroed the Z, but by the time the tool came back to that corner it was leaving a thin skin of MDF as it made its pass.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 08:45:16 AM by GTRacer »
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »
Does the Z DRO reflect the ammount of drift ? Or does it stay at the programmed value ?
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 11:08:03 AM »
I keep forgetting to watch that, I have one more sheet of parts to cut in about a half hour, I'll stop being mesmerized by the machine actually making dust instead of the usual just collecting dust and watch the Z DRO intently.
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »
The Z DRO reads spot on exactly where the code tells it to be, but the actual cuts vary, plus I verified that the bit isn't moving in the collet.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 01:59:39 PM »
Mach counts the pulses at the port from what I understand, so if the DRO is reading right then its a hardware issue. Have you tried swapping out drives and motors from axis to axis?
Hood