Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:56:23 AM

Author Topic: SmoothStepper - HAPPY CAMPERS  (Read 5643 times)

RICH

SmoothStepper - HAPPY CAMPERS
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:44:55 PM »
Hi All,
One Happy Camper here! :)
My problematic PC is no longer a problem due to using the SmoothStepper.
This USB device was worth every penny spent on it and can see it solving future PC problems yet to be discovered by others.
Three machines, namely an engraving, lathe, and mill are being run ( one at time ) using the SS ( mounted inside the computer case ) along with MACH. All with the once problematic PC and the systems are running fantastic.
There have been reports of enhanced increases in speed by others. I found that to be true. The step / unit for the engraving machine is greater than 250,000 and runs silky smooth at a 2x increase in speed over the former. The mill increase was over 7x, not that i would run at that, but i coudn't get it to skip steps and didn't want to do harm to the machine.
So if you find yourself in PC infested woods and want to try out a new resting place to sleep, try the SmootherStepper and
be a Happy Camper.
RICH

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:06:53 PM by RICH »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: SmoothStepper - HAPPY CAMPERS
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »
Forgive me for sounding like an idiot Rich  :P , you have 3 machines running from one smooth stepper? Or one for each machine? If there's one for each machine, are they all running from the one problematic PC or you just tested them with the problematic PC?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
Thanks so much for the clarification as I'm very interested in this little unit. Good to be hearing the success stories!  :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 01:35:24 PM »
Add another happy camper to the list. :)
 Long story short my modified Shopbot with Ascension controler started acting up 6 weeks ago and took on a life of its own nasty gremlins I could not eliminate. Brian and Greg started helping me out and in spite of my own shortcomings technically, they have led me to the warm camp fire of the Smooth Stepper camp.
Many "head scratchers"  ??? and difficulties resolving them BUT, the Smooth Stepper when properly dialed in, frequency settings, USB HUB, and proper grounding, and elimination of the UPS back up all feels good.
Basic problem was motors stalling intermittently and progressively got worse in spite of new PC, new updates, new optimization, and more than I can list briefly. Replaced everything between main and motors still problems persisted.
For those who may struggle as we did, here are a few key tips as I understand the root causes of failures and the corrections.
Premise: Windows likes to share, Mach does not like to share CPU.
Divorce Windows from Mach via SS and eliminate interuptions, process cleaner, faster, step and direction pulses to motors. ::)

1)Had a UPS and assumed it would act in a positive way as a line conditioner. NOT for us. Greg let me know the UPS could be a problem with square pulse waves emanating from the UPS. Removed it and one problem solved.
2) Didn't quite get the need for a USB hub with separate 5V P/S vs direct to PC but Greg suggested we try it. Another problem solved which was pop up saying USB not found.
3) Each step improved but we still had intermittent failures and stalls. Close but no cigar yet. :'(
4) Still getting some type of interference from somewhere but not sure where. Put SS in shielded box to isolate from any VFD or other interference.
Still not quite there with dry runs of an hour or more followed by stalling. ARGH$#$$*$@#%
5) Feedback was SS and mach were not the gremlins and began to hear power or grounding could be an issue based on Greg and Brian's generous suggestions and concerns.
Found we did have a ground loop, traced it down and eliminated it.
EUREKA!!!  :-*
Motors sound better than ever, moves are smooth and clean, cuts are accurate and not straining.

Only one final concern to isolate. When I have spindle running and close out of Mach, My motors rotate abruptly for a second or two.
When I activate reset, same problem. When I activate OFFLINE, no motor activation?
For the moment I'm thinking its another grounding problem perhaps the ground to the machine and will eliminate that next and see.

During this nightmare, Many friends have offered help which we appreciate greatly. Many others have e-mailed or called to say "What have you found? as they have had similar experiences with intermittent lost steps or stalls but not as aggressive.

CONCLUSION: Bases on our experiences to date and the basic premise behind the Smooth Stepper by Warp9td, the logic is sound, the design is clean, the support is terrific, and the results are a tangible improvement. I am 1000% confident that once I find the last remaining issue with my shut down interference, the sun will shine again.
Brian and Greg are absolutely the best in terms of their technical advice, concerns and genuine support to help their customers and members of the CNC community improve with innovative and well designed paths for positive change and superior results. :-* :-* :-*

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:59:02 AM »
Just another update. As embarrassing as it is, i must admit my base problems were certainly solved with the SS board and other changes but somehow an occasional stall would still creep in and confuse me. In the end it seems it was a ground loop from my sensor cables and/or shield foil on motor cables. The ends were terminated at the control system but I failed to insulate the foil or ground shield conductor at the other ends well enough. So a tiny piece of shield foil was hanging out there just close enough to the frame to occasionally come in contact with it and interrupt the system. Once resolved, we seem to be running fine.
Now I'm dealing with a software issue from V carve pro and smooth stepper. Thin its in my post processor so will begin to hunt down that one.
Enjoy