Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:48:52 PM

Author Topic: Motor Tuning - Mach3  (Read 18184 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Tuning - Mach3
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 03:05:47 AM »
Have you guys tried Sherline mode?
Hood
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 03:27:27 AM »
I'm sorry... I don't even know what that means. I will be more than happy to try it though, it there a tutorial or brief explanation?

Thanks in advance

Larry

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 03:46:25 AM »
also sounds as if you have some binding in the ballscrews or slides , refering to your point of bump bump every 2 revs , try removing the steppers and turning them by hand
to feel for any roughness  binding or stiffness first, both on your slides and screws , make sure your sliding surfaces are clean and greased too .

if all the motors are the same type , then the same settings should get you near or at least into the ballpark and then fine tune from there

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 03:54:07 AM »
On the Ports and Pins main page you will see an option for Sherline 1/2 Pulse Mode, choose that and restart Mach and see if it helps.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 10:57:06 AM »
I will give the Sherline mode a try and see what happens.

The motors were fine, and brand new and moved fluidly without any hesitation or "bumping" as I described it.  The mill sat for about a year with no real use because of my inability of handling the software, but with the help of someone who had a Taig mill I was able to get the motors installed and setup. It was only after moving the mill to a new location and a new hard drive after the old one crashed that the bumping problem came along. I can manually jog the motors and mill some parts and it appears to work reasonably well, but I know that they can be smoother as the one axis is. I have tried using that setting on the other two motors but it didn't cure the problem.

Thanks

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »
I would definitely recommend that you watch the tutorial videos, AND read the manual several times over to get a good basic understanding of everything. People are more than willing to help around here when they can, but its hard to explain things when the other person doesn't understand the basics. When somebody says "Sherline mode", you will remember seeing that in the video and you can go watch it again. The manuals go into pretty good depth on most things, so at least just scan through it a few times and pick up on the basics. Help us to help you.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 12:46:09 PM »
I Finley found out what my problem was , my settings wear wrong . The velocity was to high and my acceleratoin was to low . I turning them around and I got movement . Tuned a little and got them running ok . When I tried to engrave something it only moves in a very short space .
As far as my new problem , I'll do somemore reading . Could  not get my pick to upload , must be to large .

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »
Are you meaning that the fcode works ok but is much smaller than you think it should be? If so then its either you have scaling, have it set in mm and are using imperial code or your Steps per unit are set wrong.
Hood
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
I'm very new to this , what is the fcode . I use inches . When I try to run g code the table hardley moves  . I guess that is my next step is . The question I have is what I set the backlash at .

Are you meaning that the fcode works ok but is much smaller than you think it should be? If so then its either you have scaling, have it set in mm and are using imperial code or your Steps per unit are set wrong.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 02:00:52 AM »
OOPS
fcode is the same as gcode, just I have fat fingers and missed he G and pressed F instead LOL

OK as I said above either you have your steps per unit set wrong, if you go to the MDI line and type G0X1 does the axis move 1 Inch? If it does then it looks like your G Code has a G21 at the start, this means that its getting changed to mm, so if the code says G1X5 F50 it will only move 5mm rather than the 5 inch its supposed to.
 If thats not the case then have a llok at the scaling to make sure you dont have that set to reduce your code.

Cant tell you what to set your backlash at, you need to measure the backlash as each setup is different.

Hood