Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:43:30 PM

Author Topic: Motor Tuning - Mach3  (Read 18182 times)

Motor Tuning - Mach3
« on: May 26, 2008, 06:02:26 PM »
I'm having a relay hard time tuning my 3 motors . I need lots of help .  The motors are 3 (MT23-60-5 Uni-Polar Stepper Motor) .
Here is a little more about them -

60 Oz In. Hybrid
1.8° /200 Steps Per Rev.
24 Volts*
0.18 Amps Current Draw Per Phase
5-wire Uni-polar
NEMA 23 Frame

How can I get all of them to run at Maxim speed toghter ? I have one running smooth , non of them will work on same numbers . The other 2 motors just bog and grind , I need HELP .

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Tuning - Mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:14:32 PM »
A few troubleshooting tips, have you tried all the motors on the output that runs smooth? Being careful to power down before swapping motors/wires. What type of controler are you using? That would go a long way in someone knowing the possible adjustments of the controler that may be affecting things and eliminate settings in Mach as a source of trouble.

The more specific information you can provide the easier it will be to get an answer and solution.

Kristin

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »
You may not get all axis moving with the same numbers. If your steppers are boderline the heavier or more friction an axis has then the slower you will have to set it.
 Best thing to do is set the acelleration and velocity way down, start increasing the Velocity and see where you end up loosing steps. Once you have that put it back a bit and start increasing the acell step by step until you loose steps and turn it back a bit.
 There is no real way of knowing what numbers you will end up with unless you know someone who has identical machine and harware, even then you may find  the numbers will be different although probably not dramtically.
 Afraid its all trial and error :(

Hood
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 02:56:07 AM »
Stick with it you will get there in the end.

In my case i first started with one motor off the machine connected lying on the floor in a nice comfy room.

I had read what others were getting in terms of speed but when i tried my motors stalled "Loud Screeching"

This was the fact that the power supply voltage was too low 24v the same as your setup.

I changed drivers and power supply "64v" and now it's as sweet as a nut.

The motors seem a bit on the flimsy side power wise. What is the size of the machine ?

Phil_H
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 02:59:28 PM »
The only other info I have is that the brake out boards & the Stepper Motor Drivers are not sold their anymore . I've picket them up (http://www.probotix.com/stepper_motors/mt23-60-5/)
   I've been trying everything all of you have suggested . I'll keep trying the trial and error and will get it sooner or later .
This is my first time with anything like this . I made the CNC maching , that was not that hard . Its the softwear that I'm having lots of problems with . That's my week spot , softwear .

If There is anyone in the South Bend or Elkhart , In.  that could give me a helping hand , I could use some coaching if anyone is instread .
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:02:45 PM »
I am reading around here also trying to get information on motor tuning.  I am using a Taig mill with the controller from DEEPGROVE off EBay and the motors were originally setup over the phone with another user of the same mill/setup.  He basically had me move the curves around until the motors were running smoothly... and that was it.  That was about a year ago and now I am learning enough to start using the mill (barely) and the motors are sill working fine... but in the Z and Y I get a  bump-bump-bump and the hesitate about every 2nd revolution  when I jog them... but they seem to be smooth when the controller is driving them.  Should I be concered? attempt to correct? and if so... how?   The motors also get quite warm... 

thanks so much,

Larry
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
I'm Back - I'v read and followed all of every ones suggestions and steal can't get this tuned . Can't get it do not under stand it . Is there any peace of hardwear or softwear (that I can add on to make it automatically detect and set the moteres) ?
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 03:08:33 PM »
If you find it..  I would be glad to use it as well.  Mine still work... but  one motor has a hitch about every 2nd revolution and another has one about every 3/4 revolution. All I have ever been told is just screw around with the rates until the motor works properly.. and then leave it alone.   

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »
Satbeam,
Can you post a picture of your machine?
Do you have board and driver information on what you bought?

You said you "don't understand it", like steps, acceleration, velocity, etc.?
Depending on your understanding we may be able to tailor how we respond back.

RICH

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 12:53:02 AM »
I can tell you that I am using a standard TAIG Mill from Deepgroove using his controller.