Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:07:23 AM

Author Topic: How do you measure homeing limits?  (Read 3961 times)

How do you measure homeing limits?
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »
Do you put x in its outer most position then zero out dro.Then move x to the complete opposite end and take the specific inches and put it in the homing?Then do the same to y and z?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: How do you measure homeing limits?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:39:11 PM »
Yes more or less. Do you have limit switches set up? s yur homing switch at an axis extreme? if so which end is it at as that can affect how you set up your soft limits.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:43:09 PM »
I don't have switches hooked up as far as i know.What should i be looking for and how do i hook them up?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:53:33 PM »
Limit switches come in all types and guises from mechanical switches to Proximity switches to optical switches. Is this a machine you bought already CNC'd? If so do you have a link to the manufacturers website?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:01:07 PM »
This machine has been retrofitted to cnc.The cnc equiptment came from lowcostcnc and the bracketry designs were purchased through fehringer cnc.All this was installed before i purchased the mill from a private sale.I am trying to get everything working so i can use it.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »
Well it sounds like it doesnt have limits, you would see them attached to each axis and they would get activated at at least one end of each axis travel.
 So no limits then you need to do this  if you want to use SoftLimits.
 Go to your homing and limits page and put a check in the Auto Zero box.
 Move machine to its extremes on each axis so that the tool is lower left and fully up. Mark some way on the tables so you can jog back to this position in future.
 Then press the Ref All button
Next in Homing and limits set the X and Y min to zero and the Z Max to zero
 Now Jog to the opposite extremes on each travel and look at the DROs and enter this value in X and Y max and Z min(X and Y should be positive numbers and Z should be a negative)
Now just enable the Soflimit button and you are set, you can set a larger slow zone on each axis if required.

One thing you have to remember is you need to move each axis to lower left and fully up each time you start Mach, this is why I said to mark that position. If you dont do this each time you start then Mach has no way of knowing where it is and so cant use the softlimits.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:34:16 PM »
Thank you so much Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »
No problem.
 If you have any more problems just post again, its late here in Scotland (1:40 am) so I need sleep but I am sure others will help you out.
Hood