Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 05:34:40 AM

Author Topic: SmoothStepper & CNC4PC Cards  (Read 20759 times)

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
SmoothStepper & CNC4PC Cards
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
I am using a CNC4PC C11G Breakout board and a C3 Index Board for spindle feedback.
My system was running fine using the parallel port.

After installing the SmoothStepper I have a number of issues...

1) The spindle control no longer works. I have no control over the spindle speed, it either runs at full speed or nothing. I have tried changing the SmoothStepper spindle output down to the minimum speed of 32kHz but this made no difference. Presumably because the C11G is expecting a maximum frequency of 25kHz?

2) The Spindle Timing no longer reports *any* speed when the spindle is running.

3) In motor tuning of Mach3 I cannot "try" the settings as the SmoothStepper does not respond to the up or down arrow keys?

I was under the impression that the SmoothStepper installation would be a simple replacement for the parallel port, obviously I am doing something wrong or have omitted something, can anyone point me at my error(s)?

Thanks
Simon

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: SmoothStepper & CNC4PC Cards
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:39:15 PM »
1). yes the fx limit is 25k on his boards.

2). check the RPM index pulse return.

3). ?? dont understand that

4). still some issues to work out, but for general machine OPs it should be fine.
fun times

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:50:59 AM »
I have since spoken to Greg and Arturo about this and they are working on it.

1)I suspect the SmoothStepper cannot go slow enough for the C11G card but will await confirmation and a solution from Greg and Arturo.

2)Greg confirmed that at present the spindle timing does not work. He is working on it.

3)Greg confirmed that the motor tuning dialog does not work. Mach3 needs to change to get this to work.

4)As I cannot get the spindle to run properly on my system I cannot use it for anything.
Luckily I am still converting the machine and so there is no downtime as such. However, I hope/trust they will get sorted soon. otherwise it will have been a very expensive gamble! It cost me over $230 by the time it got here through UK customs!

Additionally the SS does not work with one of my "brains", there is something odd going on where it half works, it looks to me like the SS does not respond to OEMtriggered events but I have reported it to and will await the results.

Offline mick

•  60 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 06:34:08 AM »
hello Simon,
                i have suffered the same problems after fitting the SS to a c11g bob.
after removing the SS the problems persist!.

all the bob i.c,s have been changed hoping to recover spindle control, but no joy!
removed SS plugin,no joy!
reinstalled Mach3,no joy!
looks like a seperate speed controler when my pension arrives.
                                                            regards Mick.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »
Just my 2cents worth,
Also getting the same problem on the new CNC4pc  C23 breakout board.

Its going to look real nice sitting next to the Grex, keeping that paper from flying around!!!!

Regards
Whatda

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »
Take a carefull look at the DAC chip next to your Analog out!!!!  I have had several of these chips that one side of the pins are NOT pushed in, or, they are bent!!!!!!  I have had this exact problem on C23, three M12's, and One Combo card.  I think the chips he uses for this, the pin spec width is not well matched to the Chip socket!!!!

Scott
fun times
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:02:04 AM »
Did the new plugin for the SS, released yesteraday correct your problem? It has some bug fixes related to spindle setup. You can read more here: http://warp9td.com/downloads.htm
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:38:32 AM »
Simon,

We apreciate if you can test the new plug-in.

Thanks,

Arturo Duncan

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:27:22 PM »
Initial tests showed that the spindle is now controllable in the forward direction but I still have no control in the reverse direction.

I have no idea what the speed was as the timing input in my SS profile has been disabled as the older version of the SS does not take a timing signal. I have not tested to see if it has been implemented in the latest SS plugin.

I will test more later.

Simon
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »
Simon,

There are two ways of implementing the spindle direction, and it depends on the speed controller you are using:

1. If you have a VFD, you could use the electromechanical relay to change between the CW and CCW of the VFD. You would activate this with the spindle direction pin.
2. If you had a C23, C11, or C6, which come with two independent relays; one could be used for CW and the other one for CCW. You would activate this with by assigning the two relays under config/Ports&Pins/Spindle/ Relays.
3. If your speed controller did not have a direction input, and was DC based, you could use the two relays to reverse the winding of the motor.  You have to be careful to allow for a delay before changing directions and watching not to exceed the rated amperage of the relays.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com