Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:33:55 AM

Author Topic: GRex Spindle Step/Dir setup  (Read 10594 times)

Re: GRex Spindle Step/Dir setup
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 04:06:54 AM »
Thanks guys for your help,

I understood everything but "Set the port and pin of the C axis for the spindle output" I'm not sure how this works with the G100 which only uses the step and dir ports rather than pins.

So i did everything else you suggested which has made a lot of progress. I have set X,Y,Z,A,B,S axes and now the spindle responds to M03 commands and stops when the onscreen controls are used. However one problem still remains which is i cannot tune the spindle as any changes made on the motor tuning screen for the spindle are not saved or flashed successfully. (this is kind of important as the accel is set too high at the moment). All the other axes (X and Z) can be tuned fine.
Also the onscreen display can't see the encoder (which i really couldn't care less about) but the spindle autocal can't see the encoder either which i can probably live without as well if i can tune the motor)

Any ideas on this?

Lost Tourist
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 08:08:58 PM »
Just wondering if you guys have had any ideas on why i can't tune the spindle. I can step the speed up in steps of 100 to any speed but i can't start go to a high speed in a single command instead i need to g-code it to step up to the running speed.

Thanks for you help.

Lost Tourist

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Hi:

Been awhile, but as I recall the C axis should respon to the accel settings and the velocity settings , COMBINED with the setting of the pulley maximum.
SO in yours, the speed seems OK, its just the accel thats the issue?

Art
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »
Remember that i have C disabled (and all the others enabled as previously instructed) so i can't tune C.

The speed is fine, it's just the accel is too high so it trips the G320.

By the way, where do i set the temporary address as permanent as the constant searching restarting is driving my insane.

Lost Tourist

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
Hi:

Sorry about that, your right, it shoudl be the spindle axis that you tune in motor config.. Does that do nothing? If not, Ill check the plugin code for you to see what it may be..

Art
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 03:06:18 AM »
Art,

Tuning the spindle indeed does nothing, it says it flashes to the G100 and resets but nothing changes.

On the bright side however, while tinkering today i set the maximum frequency higher of the C-axis to 128kHz and it can now go to whatever speed i want, what that speed actually is i'm not sure (and don't really care) however i am still interested if there is a way to tune the spindle motor.

Thanks

Lost Tourist

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 11:40:15 AM »
I would think you would set your steps per rev. for the c axis and/or spindle motor in the motor tuning page in Mach 3 and then reflash the G100. Is this what you have tried allready?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »
Hi Guys:

Ive looke din the code. But its firmware that handles it, so I cant see if the firmware assumes a VFD where the acceleration isnt important, ( Most VFD's have a setting for max acceleration, all they care about is the actual frequency.). Id try this, turn onth eC axis again, tune it so as the C axis it has a proper accel and velocity. Flash that to the G100. Then restart MAch3 and turn off the C axis in the config/ports&pins. Then restart Mach3 again. At this piont the firmware has the proper accel of the C axis stored, the spindle shoudl then reflect that accel paramater as long as it isnt assuming a VFD that doesnt care. Ive never used a spindle control on the G100 so I cant really say if it does use it properly in the G100 for the spindle partition..

Art