Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:56:48 AM

Author Topic: Question about Smoothstepper  (Read 4818 times)

Question about Smoothstepper
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »
I use a HobbyCNC controllers to run my benchtop machines from a laptop, what kind or type of performance improvement could I expect to see? I'm guessing that since one machine is a mill with a 4th axis, and I have a CNC lathe, I could use one laptop to drive both machine controllers since it will control up to 6 axis, correct?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Smoothstepper
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 06:57:19 AM »
I'm guessing that since one machine is a mill with a 4th axis, and I have a CNC lathe, I could use one laptop to drive both machine controllers

Yes and no. You can run many machines off of one PC but not at the same time. You can set up many XMLs (profiles) IN mach and just choose the one you are wanting to run at the time.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 07:10:18 AM »
I understand just one machine operating at a time, but I could use one computer to drive two machine controllers since SS is in effect 2 parallel ports correct? Just trying to avoid moving cables, reducing clutter & making better use of space,

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 07:59:50 AM »
I don't see why not. Just remember not to use the same pin twice in the two different XMLs if they both have different wireing and be careful what you enable and disable in each.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!