Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:53:48 AM

Author Topic: Probe Digitize Question  (Read 2831 times)

Probe Digitize Question
« on: May 12, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
I plan on using the 3D Scanning probe from my compucarve/carvewright with Mach3. Once I have done the scan and have the *.txt file, what software do I need to use to get this into a *.nc file?
Right now I need the cheapest way to convert the txt to nc - demo programs would be great. Once I determine that it will do what I need, I will be willing to sink a few dollars into the software.
Dave
Re: Probe Digitize Question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »
Not sure if there is one 'right' answer to this question...

The 3D probing plugin which is a free download generates a kind of Gcode directly from the scan but, this might not be the 'ideal tool path as it is really just a point cloud with X,Y & Z coords.  IF you edit the file and add commands Like M3, G01, F, etc you might get a cut that looks representative.

Rhino 4 (a free download) will readt .txt point cloud files and then you need to mesh and surface the cloud and save it in a format that can be generated into G-Code.  Rhino will only let you do 25 Meshes, then you have to buy.

Meshcam will generate G-Code from surfaced cloud files.  Ger21 wrote a macro for Autocad that reads point clouds so you can save as.dxf which Lazycam could theoretically generate the Code for but, I never could get his macro working, maybe you might have more luck?

HTH,
Sid