Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:56:10 AM

Author Topic: "Analog Joystick"?  (Read 12062 times)

"Analog Joystick"?
« on: May 17, 2006, 02:13:04 PM »
Hi,
 I have Mach3 and want to jog my machine with a joystick. Page 21 of the mach3 manual says that "Mach 3 will work with any Windows compatible "analog joystick"". Why the quote marks around "analog"? Does the joystick have to be analog to work with mach3? These are harder to get these days (besides 'd-pad' types) and digital joysticks are cheap and plentiful. Also I have no game port on my machine, only usb. Will the stick still work if I get a game port type joystick and put a USB adapter on it? Thanks in advance.
Re: "Analog Joystick"?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:08:54 PM »
Yo Count,

I had some issues with the whole joystick thing.  After a little research I discovered there was a better and easier way.  Check out this link http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2225,CONTENTID=9069

I bought one og these and installed in my USB port.  Had this dog up and runing in about 20 minutes.  There are a ton of buttons and you can configure each button/joystick to control whatever you want.  It's cool- check it out!

HTH,
Sid
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 09:15:32 AM »
Cool!!!!

Thats looks like a great little addition. How difficult was it to setup - how about writing us a quick setup guide - think I might get me one !

Cheers

Dave
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:51:41 PM »
It wasn't difficult at all.  I just followed the directions that came with it.  PLugged the receiver into the USB port, launched the utility that loads when you install the driver and started assigning keys (Mach 3 Commands) to the functions on the controller.  It's really simple.

Regards,
Sid
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 01:01:40 AM »
Dude,
 I just got that D-pad you suggested. I'm having trouble setting it up though. Do you do the configuration inside Mach3 or in the software that comes with the controller? Are you using the controller with Mach3 or Mach2? Thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 01:31:00 AM »
I used the software that came with the controller.  It asks you to create a profile (I called mine Mach 3) and then it asks you for the .exe file for that program.  Point it to Mach3l.exe.  Then you start creating the commands and assigning those commands to the keys on the Dpad.  Give me a shout if you need more help!

Regards,
Sid
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:16:31 PM »
Sid,
 Thanks for all the help. I still can't get it to work. I created the profile like you suggested. When I start Mach 3 with the Logitech program running I cannot jog, even with the keyboard. When I shut the logitech program down and restart Mach 3 I can jog with the keyboard. Did you experience this? This happens to me on two different machines. I noticed your other thread about joysticks. Are you using 1024Joystick.set? If so, is it the first or second file that Brian posted? Do you just stick that file in the Mach 3 directory or do you have to do something else? Thanks again.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:57:18 PM »
Weird, I'm not at the shop now so I can't check on my config- will do that tomorrow and let you know.  I didn't have any problems like you mention.  Keyboard and Dpad work at the same time.  Damn Computers- don't ya just love 'em.

I tried the screen set that Brian made but I couldn't get that to work.  Maybe it will for you.  You have to change screen sets in Mach.  Go to View Menu->Load Screens-> select the joystick.set that Brian posted.

I kinda gave up on the whole joystick thing when I got my Dpad.  I did find another screen set that has the joystick built into it.  I never tested it but maybe that's worth a try it's at the Novalab.org site http://cnc.novalab.org/mach_files.htm  look for Modified Mill Screen (rev D) for Mach3.

Good luck!

Sid
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 12:33:33 AM »
Thanks Sid, so you didn't have to do anything special in Mach to get the dpad to work? I'll be waiting to here about your config. I owe you a beer.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 01:00:54 PM »
Nope, nothing special.  Here's what I did...

Installed the software according to instructions.  I think they say install software first then the install program tells you when to plug in the receiver and then install the batts in the Dpad.  After that, the Logitech Profiler program should come up.  It asks to create a new profile.  I called my Mach 3.  Then it asks for the location of the executable for Mach3.  there is a browse button and I nav'd to the mach3.exe file.

At this point you should have the icon that looks like a letter 'w' next to the clock in the lower right corner.

Then a screen shows a layout of the controller and all of it's buttons/joysticks.  I selected a button (for now let's select button 6-lower right corner) and a menu pops up.  I clicked on select assignment and then 'new command'.  Type the name of the command in the box (i.e. "Z axis Down").  Click the Record button.  Press the Page Down key on the keyboard and then release the page down key.  Click the stop button.  Now that command (page down) should be assigned to that button.

So, if it still isn't working, here are some questions.  Is your computer recognizing the receiver plugged into the USB port (look under device manager-> Human Interface devices- you should see some Logitech stuff there.)  Is the receiver flashing its light?  Is the receiver receiving the signal from the Dpad? ( Control Panel-> Hardware-> Game Controlers->there is a test button where you can push buttons on the Dpad and it should show you the button being pushed on the screen).

Hmmm, that's about all I can think of right now- I'll keep thinkin about it.  I checked for config info on my puter but can't really find anything/setting of value anywhere- it all seems so generic and I didn't have to tweak any of the setup, it just did it all for me on install.  Maybe the Nerds at Logitect tech support might have a clue?  HTH

Regards,
Sid

P.S.  Where are you located?