Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:58:56 PM

Author Topic: Few questions about configuring Mach 3, Pointing device Problem  (Read 5290 times)

Setting up an new computer so I can upgrade from Mach 2 to Mach 3.

Using the stock screen set. Where is the step jog feature? I'd like to be able to jog in increments and toggle between continious jog & step as I do in Mach 2.

I'm getting a weird grunt/resonance when the motor changes direction. It's fine jogging in the same direction.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:11:28 PM by rustyolddog »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions about configuring Mach 3, one problem
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »
press the Tab key on your keyboard for the Jog control.
Probably just needing tuned as Mach2 and 3 are a bit different in motor tuning.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »
OK, found that screen with the tab. When I try to step an increment, no matter how large, it just seems to single step very slowly. Lost the job feature all together when I tab out.

OK a reboot seemed to solve that.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 09:41:40 PM by rustyolddog »
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:48:37 PM »
It seems the grunt is related to the backlash setting. I had the back lash set to %200 of max per another post because of the slow response of the back lash. If I disable it, the direction changes without any grunting. Guess I'll have to dig a little deeper there.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 04:48:23 AM »
The backlash is odd.

It starts, stops, starts, stops and then finally starts again. The second start is controlled by the backlash speed or % input and as far as I can see the other starts must be dependent on the speed your want the axis to travel (G0 or G1 F**).

I think the logic is - start the axis - which way is it going -
Then it is either the same way that it was going, in which case it continues uninterrupted, or the machine finds the axis travel is reversed, in which case it stops the axis,(perhaps both axis) applies however much backlash travel, at whatever  % or speed, then stops again, then carries on with the move.

I have mine simply set at 50% - with the idea that all the acceleration and deceleration could cause it to miss steps.

Having said that - although it sounds a bit rough, it is accurate, and turning some ball shapes on rods - I couldn't see the join where the backlash had been applied
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
Re: Few questions about configuring Mach 3, Pointing device Problem
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:17:45 PM »
OK, here's a new problem, I'm running Mach 3 on a Compaq Evo 610C laptop. When I run the ocx test, I'm getting wild! fluctuations in the the frequency and the graphic line display. I've gone thru the optimise process and the only thing that helps is the Standard PC configuration which disables the touch pad thus I've narrowed down the problem to the Synaptics touch pad. I've tried new & old Synaptics drivers to no avail. I can plug in a MS USB mouse and the OCX test is perfect. I can go back to the previous configuration and use the USB mouse and the OCX test is perfect. THe Touch pad is configured on a PS/2 port according to the system info. Any suggestions?

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:48:40 AM »
I am a little at a loss here - do you mean the laptop pad and buttons in place of the mouse?

I am using a Toshiba laptop for mine and I don't use the touch pad.  I use a USB mouse and have had no problems at all especially one of the optical variety. I find a mouse much easier than a touch pad (and much quicker).

When I first started, someone said they were suprised being able to run Mach3 on a laptop. Apparently the cheaper ones "share" memory and other features, especially with graphics.

To be fair, it was my daughters computer. I formatted the hard drive, which wiped all the **** she had downloaded, and ran Windows in again from her recovery disc, which left me with a blank computer. I plugged it in and it has worked perfectly. I only have Mach 3 in it. I have a wireless dongle that I can plug in to connect to my home system to pass programs to and from, but I remove that when not needed. This will stop any virus from getting at it (I hope)
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:36:56 AM »
If you are certain its the touchpad that is the problem then as you have tried to get updated drivers and they have not helped, I think you only have two options.
 First is use a different pointing device. Options for that include a mouse like you have, a trackball, a keyboard with tarackball or trackpad or a touch screen overlay. All of these really defeat the main reason most people use a laptop, ie its compact all in one design.
 A second option would be a SmoothStepper, more expensive than the other options and certainly no guarantee that it would work but probably 99% or more chance it would.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 08:40:40 AM »
It's most definately related to the touch pad. I can even plug in the USB mouse and the wild swing in the pulse train will calm down, I'll get a few small spikes but nothing like the wide tall random pulses which occur regardless whether you're touching the touchpad or not. As if it were interrupt or polling related. I was hoping that someone ran across  interrupt change or a memory mapping change for the driver. I'm cramped for space hence the laptop requirement, no room for a mouse. What's weird is I'm running Mach2 on a 400mHz HP laptop and using the touchpad and it OCX tests fine on that machine. Might have a look at the windows setting on that machine & compare. Could it be the PS/2 port driver/configuration for the motherboard? If I use the standard PC configuration, the touchpad is disabled and installing the driver makes no difference, it's just not available, period. Standard PC config also makes the noisy laptop fan run wide open which is another reason I don't want to run in that mode.