Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:33:10 AM

Author Topic: Switched the direction of my Y Axis....HELPPPPP!!!  (Read 5589 times)

Switched the direction of my Y Axis....HELPPPPP!!!
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »
Hi folks, please help!

:( .....I somehow switched the direction of my Y axis when I had a job paused (The job is now destroyed.... >:( ) . Anyway, I think I did this either from the pop-out screen or from the keyboard, but either way, when I press 'up' on my controller, or click the 'Y+' button on the pop-out screen, my Y axis now moves down instead of up, and vice versa. My X axis is still normal.....any ideas how I can reverse the axis back to normal?

Also....I tried every button on the pop-out screen in my attempts to rectify this, and turned on Shuttle Mode.....I don't even know what this does! How do I turn shuttle mode back off?  :( Thanks for any ideas......

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Switched the direction of my Y Axis....HELPPPPP!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:53:25 PM »
I don't know what you are calling the "pop out screen" and neither do I know what you call your "controller"

Is the axis working correctly if you give it GCode commands. Is the fault just when you jog - give us a clue ???

Pressing every button on a screen, hoping to rectify a fault is not a very good method of approach.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »
The 'pop-out' screen I mean is the one that appears when you press the TAB key. It allows you to jog the axis using the clickable buttons. Its more of a panel on the right hand side than an actual screen.....
Technically the axis responds correctly to the G-Code commands....i.e: If its at zero, and the code says Y+1.0000, then it moves 1 inch of the Y axis and the co-ordinates increase from 0.0000 to +1.0000, but it now moves 1" in the opposite direction to that which it used to. Positive is now minus, and minus is now positive. The actual mechanical reason is that obviously I did something in Mach3 to make my stepper rotate the opposite direction, but I don't know what! Jogging the axis in increasing co-ordinates now moves my Z carriage towards me, it used to move away from me. Vice Versa for decreasing co-cordinates. So how do I reverse my stepper rotation?

My controller is a regular GamePad.

I don't usually press every button  :-[ ....how do I turn off shuttle mode?

Thankyou for the reply.

I don't know what you are calling the "pop out screen" and neither do I know what you call your "controller"
Is the axis working correctly if you give it GCode commands. Is the fault just when you jog - give us a clue ???
Pressing every button on a screen, hoping to rectify a fault is not a very good method of approach.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:24:34 PM by thkoutsidthebox »

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 01:45:10 PM »
If you are at the machine now try going into Config/Ports and Pins/Motor Outputs. Check the "dir" pin of the Y axis. If the "active low column " is red, click it to green, if it is green, click it to red. This will change the direction of the motor - although I am at a loss to understand how it happened.

I have no idea about the "shuttle mode" I do not use it - but I remember seeing something about it in the video tutorials. It is in one of the earlier ones - getting started or something like that.

Perhaps someone else can tell you - any offers !!!
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:48:44 PM »
Hi, Thkoutsidthebox

If you hit the Tab key it will allow you to un-select the Shuttle Mode, Hit the Tab key again the window will close.

As far as your Y axis direction, Hard to say what caused it, Check your Config, Ports & Pins, Outputs as Jim stated, But Thy should all be in the same for Dir and Step, Ether Active Low or High, "Checked or X".

If an axis is backwards, Change it in Config, Homes & Limits Page, Use the Reverse Box, Ether "Checked or X", Some stepper controls don't work or preform poorly if the Active Low or High are set wrong/mismatched.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 07:15:31 AM »
Thankyou to all of you....I tried de-selecting the shuttle mode the same way I turned it on using that button, but it didn't work. Also, I didn't change any of the dir low settings for my steppers, I changed something using only the standard screen.......I just powered back up my system this morning and all is working correctly again!!! The shuttle mode is off and my axis is jogging correctly! I guess I have egg on my face, although that still doesn't explain what happened. The control computer system must have locked up or something, I can't explain it. Either way its working now.....maybe the gremlins are not out of bed yet!  :o Thanks for all your help.  :)

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 05:05:18 AM »
My mill does something similar sometimes...
If I stop and start the spindle manually sometimes one of the axis reverses it's direction entirely on it's own. even using the keyboard jog keys. I found that if I press left it will go right, if I then press right it will continue going right and when I press left again it starts going left! I can then rehome the machine and it will work fine again after that.

I have a new relay board to install on it's way to see if that will cure it.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 06:44:18 AM »
Thanks Simon. lol If it happens again I'll see if I can figure out some sort of movement code combination that gets it back to normal!  ;D  ;D