Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:23:12 AM

Author Topic: Conversational programation of mach3 lathe  (Read 18762 times)

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Re: Conversational programation of mach3 lathe
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 02:44:37 PM »
"Are you saying that G70 and G71 are implemented in Mach 3. "
No, I wish! The code I posted earlier is for a Fanuc controlled machine. I'm just pointing out how simple it is to machine complex profiles on a Fanuc machine using these three canned cycles. BUT, I think that it would be relative task to write wizards that would do this, based on the complex pocketing that Lazycam uses, it just wouldn't machine one of the corners which would be the clearance point on the corner of the barstock on the lathe. let's face it, you COULD use a lazycam pocket cycle, swap the X and Y for Z and X and let it go, but it would take a long time to machine because the tool diameter would have to be the tool tip radius, and it would be at cut speeds out where it should be using a rapid to move back to the start of thr barstock each time.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
Hi guys,

thanks for your answers even tought i don't understand what you are talking about.
As you can understand i'm a mach noob; the thing i wanted to know is if it's possible to do with wizard a conversational programation.
Since i have to do always the same drawing with difference values, i wanted to know if it's possible to make a program where you just change the values you need and then it will create a g code program. These values would be: thickness, radius, tool diameter, ecc...

Thanks for your answers

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 03:45:36 PM »
Yes,  you can make a wizard that will create your gcode.  It will take some programming in basic to create the wizard.  The level of difficulty will depend on how complex the part you are doing.

Can you describe the part?

Arnie
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
It would be nice if you could write a few lines of code on the main screen in Mach to place the tool where wanted, call up a wizard and put the resulting code at the end of your previously written code, do another wizard etc etc, going back and forwards in and out of any Wizard, that would be near Conversational Programming. At the moment it can't be done as the new code replaces the original code.  Perhaps it could be on the wishlist for future Mach improvements.

Jim

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 03:29:18 PM »
Well, actually that IS how you build a program right now in turn. I use a wizard to write the G code for the first part of a program, , then open that G code to edit it and do a save as to a new file name. Then go back to the wizards again and run another one for the next part of the program you need. Open that to edit and do a cut and paste that code into the first one you saved as. It's a little laborious but all things considered, not too bad. Note that, when you paste multiple programs together you need to add rapid away moves, tool changes and just generally check to make sure you don't add a crash in there. Mach's toolpath view will mostly show you if there is a problem with a rapid through solid objects too.
   DaveA.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 03:51:07 PM »
Yes but you shouldn't have to do all that, that's not "Conversational" is it, and after all Mach 3 is "Professional" and as such you should be able to build a program as you go.

Jim.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 04:16:12 PM »
Yes but you shouldn't have to do all that, that's not "Conversational" is it, and after all Mach 3 is "Professional" and as such you should be able to build a program as you go.

Jim.

Mach 3 is $160, do you expect the features of a thousands of $$$$ controller for that price?
The great thing about Mach however is there is no limit to what you can do. You can go and write your own conversational for MachTurn if you wish, if its any good then you could sell it like Brian did with the NewFangled Addons for Mill. ;)

Hood
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 07:21:48 PM »
Fair point,   but it would be nice to have a text editor within Mach3 that could assemble a program from wizards/sub programs.  Mach3 is without doubt the best easily accessable CNC control software there is, and can be used on any machine with moving axis's, and it is still evolving and will continue to evolve as long as those using it can think of ways to make the end product easier to produce.

If I was clever I would have a go at writing a conversational package for Mach, but then if I was clever I wouldn't be standing in front of a lathe all day. hi hi.

Jim