Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:41:24 AM

Author Topic: how the helll do i calucalte m steps per unit????????  (Read 4147 times)

Offline ziga

•  24 24
    • View Profile
how the helll do i calucalte m steps per unit????????
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:57:30 AM »
Hello
I am  runing in to a bigger problem than i thought, i cannot calucalte my steps per unit.
I have a spindel that moves 5mm per turn. i havea stepper motor that turns 1,8° that means 200 steps. so that should make it 40 steps per unit.
i put my settings to MM. but when i try to move for 5 mm of mesuerd value the machine moves for 50mm in mach. I have a G201 and all of its settings are default.
When i tried to calculate the movment it was around 533,33333... What to doo? ia am loosing my mind

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: how the helll do i calucalte m steps per unit????????
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »
The G201 is a micostepping drive, it is set at 10 micro steps so for every 1 step of the motor there are 10 smaller ones in between. So your steps per unit have to be multiplied by 10.
Hood

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:19:32 AM »
Forget the word "STEPS" - IT IS MISLEADING.

Mach 3 needs to know how many "PULSES" to send to your motor to move it one unit - in your case MM.

The first thing to do is check that you have the UNITS correctly ticked undet Config/Native Units.

Your motor is a 1.8 degree step - so you are right 200 pulses will turn the motor 1 rev.

Now read your Drive manual - and as Hood says the Gecko drive you are using ( I have the same ones) are 10 micro-step drives. Stepper motors can run is part steps using a combination of signals on the wires. As bought the Gecko is set at 10. This is done for smootness and power.

You say that your spindle moves 5mm per turn - and is a direct drive.

Your calculation is therefore 200 x 10 divided by 5 - which is 400 pulses per mm - not 40.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »
You could just go to the settings page in Mach and click on the 'Set Steps per unit' Button and run the configuation Utility.  Then the computer would tell you what it is  8)

HTH,
Sid
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »
I agree with sschneider. That was one of the nicest things about setting up this unit (Using WinCNC I had to measure the move and guess how much to increment/decrement the setting). Go to the 'Setting's page, click on 'Set Steps per Unit' in the lower left corner, and let it do the math. I used a 6" dial caliper. I opened it to 5" and placed the tail against the moving axis, then told it to move 1" toward the calipers (later I did it at 4" to fine tune it).  It will ask you how far it actually moved. Read the caliper, then enter the actual movement. When you enter that number it will calculate the steps required. Save the results and the next move is very close. The longer move you can make, the closer it will be.