Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:26:41 PM

Author Topic: HELP - DELL OPTIPLEX 520 - SIGNAL QUALITY - other pc's  (Read 9627 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: HELP - DELL OPTIPLEX 520 - SIGNAL QUALITY - other pc's
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:56 AM »
I have had problems with the pulse engine and onboard graphics, I have also had no problems whatsoever with onboard graphics.
 I could almost say for sure the Smoothstepper would solve your problems but as you know nothing is a certainty especially when we are talking computers. As an example however, I have a pico mobo, it has onboard graphics, embedded CPU, onboard LAN, Serial, PS2 for mouse and keyboard and 4 USB ports and all together its smaller than two credit cards sitting side by side :)
 As an experiment I installed Mach on it and ran the drivetest, it crashed about 2 seconds in, then hooked up the SmoothStepper (Beta one) and it ran my mill every bit as good as the full size computer did, in fact it was actually better.
 There are still a few things to do to the PlugIn for the SmoothStepper, sync for lathe threading being one of them but I have no doubt that this will be completed soon.

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:56:57 AM »
 :)

Rich, silly question to ask now but are your drives tuneable and if so, have you tuned them?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »
Sorry Rich, I meant do your stepper drivers have a tuneing pot like the Gecko 201s.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »
Hey Rich,

Perhaps this might be something you already thought of but....  Maybe it's time to give the Optiplex the Old 'Gravity Test'?

I think if you took a poll on what peeps thought of Dell you would get a mized bag of results.  In the past Dell has chosen to do some funky (proprietary) things with some of their machines which have raised compatibility issues fo some folks. 

Seems to me like every Office Depot nowadays is having a sale on a Core Dual Desktops - for the agravation that you are going through would it not be easier to just swap your computer?

Just my $.02

Sid

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 11:01:35 AM »
sid,
  I was waiting for somebody to suggest dumping the small form factor(I believe that the optiplex is small form?), because I  struggled for a year with a compaq "evo" (means "evil" :D), before trying a full sized desktop(dell dimension8200) and boy-what a huge difference it made.
  This change instantly gave me rapids of 80 ipm's  with no lost steps,compared to only 11 ipm's before.. only difference, full sized desktop.(Just like Art suggests from the very beginning, but I was too cheap to spend any money on a good stable desktop computer!
  I know very little about video cards and the like, but your optiplex could be un-fixable. I hope you have success with your efforts, though,

Good Luck!

Glenn
Don't assume anything.....it'll make a Manager out of U and Me!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
If you have the SmoothStepper on the way I think even your Dell should be good enough LOL
Hood