Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:29:00 AM

Author Topic: Tangential control manualy?  (Read 3921 times)

Tangential control manualy?
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:56:38 PM »
Is it possible in Mach3 to position the A axis in tangential control mode and then when you jog the machine will follow the path of the A axis position?

Thanks

Dennis

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Tangential control manualy?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »
Dennis - I am not offering an answer - but I am facinated by the question.

What do you mean ???
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »
Take a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw26uiCQHwA

I'm wondering if I put a line laser on the saw head and position the blade cut direction manually, can I get mach3 to follow the cutting direction of the blade when jogging?

Some times some quick cuts need to be made and programming is extra work.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 04:20:28 AM »
The answer must be yes - although the actual "how" might be a bit more difficult.

However - if it is as simple as that, one thing I might try is -

Mount the laser parrallel to the saw blade. (And here I must assume) The blade has to be in line with the cut you are making.(and I assume it is the "a" axis). Zero the "a" axis i.e. put it parrallel to the work or what ever, then jog it to where you want it to go, using the laser as an alignment tool. You might not have to zero it - depending on the accuracy you need - and if you are satisfied that Mach has the proper current location in the DRO's

You could if you wanted greater accuracy, mount a detector where you wanted the beam to shine - I have them on my machine and it is accurate to less that 1/10th of a thou of an inch.

There must now be a reading on the "a" axis of the angle the blade is pointing.

Do a small Macro - a Visual Basic program to calculate the finishing position (X,Y) of the blade from it's present position (over a set distance) and away it goes. You would have to stop the cutter blade manually - unless the Macro knew what line to stop at (but then you would have to change the macro everytime)

The Macro could be accessed by a "button" on the Mach control panel, or even an external button.

As far as I can see that is the simplest method to implement, without having detectors to track the laser beam, and it takes longer to describe than do.

Basically you jog the "a" axis til it is pointing where you want it to go, press the button and away it goes.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 05:28:07 AM »
Hi Dennis - You can use g68. With this you can rotate your coordinate system to match the angle of your knife. Depending on which angle you choose to rotate it against you can then jog with either x or y.

So - if your knife is at 30 degrees (to x or y) and at x10 y20 then code g68 x10 y20 r30 then jog (x or y).
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »
I like both of your ideas very much!!
Ones we move in to the new shop I will start experimenting with it.