Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:05:49 AM

Author Topic: Need info on Denford Starturn 4 CNC lathe  (Read 12745 times)

Need info on Denford Starturn 4 CNC lathe
« on: April 19, 2008, 09:51:36 PM »
Hello

I went to an auction at the Community College today and came home with a Denford Starturn 4 CNC lathe. It's a 1988 machine made in England and I assume I will end up gutting this machine of it's electronics and running it on a PC with Mach3 as I have done with a Dynamatronics CNC mill. If anyone has information or has worked on this lathe I would like to hear from you as I have no manuals on this machine.

It is a 240 volt 50Hz machine so I don't know how much of the controls I would want to use. The spindle motor is a rather large DC brush type so that I should be able to control without any problem, it's the rest I have to figure out.

Fred

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
Re: Need info on Denford Starturn 4 CNC lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:16:43 PM »
A quick search turned up http://www.denford.ltd.uk/ would probably be best to contact them for info and ask if they could provide you a manual.

Kristin

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:10:37 PM »
Hi, Fred

Did you get one for Me ?, Is it single phase 240 volts ?

Hears a link that should help,  http://faculty.mercer.edu/daine_ep/content/project/Denford/Denford.shtml

Another Project, Chip
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:34:02 PM »
Hello Chip

Thanks, this should get me started.

Yes, it's single phase. It was made in England and uses 240 single phase 50Hz as that is their standard power supply. Maybe you can answer another question for me. I think the 240 power in Europe is 240 on one line and netrual on the other unlike our 220 power here in the states two seperate 110 lines. Is that correct or not? Before I can start on this project I better find out what I'm dealing with.

Fred

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
Hi, Fred

Yes, I think your correct on the 240 power in England, But it was running in the US so it may have isolated input power or transformer.

Check the power cord, Dose it have 3 conductors 1 to gnd. other 2 isolated from gnd. may be a clue.

The 50hz to 60hz isn't a problem, PM'd my phone #.

Thanks, Chip

Edit: looks like good drawings.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:21:29 AM by Chip »
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:18:47 AM »
Hi Fred
reading your post i have an Orac lathe made by Denford actually i have 2 of them one running on Mach3 my lathe had a 240 V 3 phase motor are you sure about the single phase there is a distributor here in the US for Denford and there tech guy was very helpfull in giving me some info on the machinery lathes are about he same vintage.

Dennis
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:43:38 AM »
Hello Dennis

This machine is single phase with a power cord connection like used on a computer. It has a 160 volt DC spindle motor, so I need to stay with 220 power otherwise I would replace the power supply and convert it to 110. Maybe that tech guy would know if I can use our version of 220 volt power which is truly 110 two phase, but we call 220.

When I get past this little delay I may have some questions for you on the driver boards etc. Thanks for your reply.

Fred Fulmer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 12:39:32 PM »
Dennis

Can you please send me an email address or phone number for this tech? I tried to join the Denford forum twice and I get this message "Die Robot" and then I am banned from there site. I think their forum is way to childish for me, I don't want to deal with a bunch of in-mature kids I just want some questions answered. My email address is fkfulmer@comcast.net. Thank you.

Fred Fulmer
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 02:02:11 PM »
Fred
My lathe's had the same type connector i had a VFD for the spindle motor control actually had the whole machine running on the existing electronics before deciding to gut it and upgrade it all to modern electronics i kept the 3 phase converter the machine originally had installed a VFD and all new drives with a break out board i first tried running the machine on flashcut proved not to be very satisfactory the flashcut is more for a mill then a lathe i need to sell that system.

Dennis
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 06:34:22 PM »
Dennis
I did the same with a Dyna Mechtronics 2800 mill. Today it is running on Mach3 in a Pentium 4 with three new Gecko G203V boards and three new Micro-stepper motors. Later I will add the rotary table I have and again use a Gecko driver. It runs really sweet now. I just need to get past this 220 issue.

I looked and my machine has to be 220 single phase, I'm just not sure that I can plug it into our American version of 220. I believe I can but I would like to hear from someone who has done it.

Fred