Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:55:37 PM

Author Topic: FREE 2D CAD (Solid edge)  (Read 10675 times)

Benny

FREE 2D CAD (Solid edge)
« on: April 14, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »
Download a fully working FREE 2D CAD package from here.
I cant tell you much about it yet since I am currently downloading it myself.
From what I have heard it is quite a comprehensive package.

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/index.shtml

Benny

Re: FREE 2D CAD (Solid edge)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:16:11 PM »
Here is a screen capture of what it looks like.

Benny

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »
and another..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:21:11 PM by Benny »

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »
Hi Benny,
  Will this produce G-Code for M3?
Thanks, Glenn :)
Don't assume anything.....it'll make a Manager out of U and Me!

Benny

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 09:18:17 PM »
Hi Benny,
  Will this produce G-Code for M3?
Thanks, Glenn :)
Not directly, no, but indirectly yes.
You design with this and then use a CAM program to make the Gcode. I havnt checked out the current status of LAZYCAM of recent, but I would suspect it would easily handle making Gcode from the dxf files this produces.
The missing gap with the Artsoft collection is good CAD software. This should fill that gap quite nicely for those who want a FREE CAD solution.

Remembering this is 2D software, with LAZTCAM you could do all sorts of 2.5D Milling or cutting. Great for those with CNC routers and Mills.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:20:31 PM by Benny »

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »
 Benny,I'm trying it! :)
  Thanks,
Glenn

Benny

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 12:32:52 AM »
To whoever downloads the software, let us know what your think.
I think its pretty good so far, especially been free.
What do you think about it?

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 01:30:16 PM »
Their server seems real slow, has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps it's just time of day and traffic.

Kristin

Offline Glenn

•  129 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
Yes Kristin,
  It was so slow last night that I had to cancel half way through
just to put my computer, kids and myself to bed...Benny, I will try it again soon.
Kristin ,  Did you ever get your computer problems sorted with a more
powerful tower?

Glenn

Offline Kristin D

•  203 203
  • Take that you LazyCam, next stop the glue factory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 09:36:18 PM »
Glenn,

I finally managed to download it, seems most of the problem was on my end (I think) I had a new wireless card and it seemed after about 15 hours something went wrong, buzzing coming out of my monitor speaker with the vol all the way down. Swapped it with another and woosh 25 min later had downloaded solid edge.

I have had little time to play and learn yet but... I was able to draw shapes, dimension, measure volume all in under 5 min without reading anything just following the tool tips as to what they do! It looks pretty user friendly at least not like AutoCad and clones. Now to really learn it and put it to use.

As for the PC issue, I have two 1.7MHz P4's on the way, cube style with CD-ROM drives, plenty of USB ports, serial, LPT port and no HDD (Got a pile of them saved just for this) I will install the software, make a few backup HDD's so it will be a quick swap if something goes south + having a 2nd backup PC, all for about $100. A LCD monitor for another $50 and with my collection of keyboards, mice, trackballs I should be ready to rock and roll, well at least do something. (Jethro Tull- "too old to rock and roll, but too young to die")

Just received 6 replacement driver chips for my HobbyCNC Pro board today so I need to drill and tap a couple of heatsinks and get them on the board ready for the big test this weekend. I have several options for powersupply so that's not a worry I just hope the 74HC14's didn't take a hit too all I can get local are 74HCT04 hex inverters and I am not sure they will work although they are pin for pin the same with very close specs.

A few more visits from UPS, USPS, FedX and I should be good to go. It's just a pain waiting for parts to arrive one at a time from many sources and I still have to design and build motor mounts among other things.

Kristin