Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:01:52 AM

Author Topic: surfacing wizard  (Read 2557 times)

surfacing wizard
« on: April 11, 2008, 11:23:52 AM »
I am looking at using the wizards for the first time.  Is there any glossary in the help files to tell me what some of the fields are?  I am using the one created by kiran.  What does it want for tool offset for x and y? 

By the way i am using a 2.5" flycutter with coolant on an x2 minimill.  I want to surface a a block 8Wx5Lx2D. 
Is the new fangled wizards worth the $$$$? 
Re: surfacing wizard
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 12:10:26 PM »
NFS wizards are def worth the $.  IMHO- I don't really see how these guys can sell this stuff so cheap.  But, the surf wizard included with Mach will do what you want.

I think the tool offset is for where you place your clamps?  I never use it (i.e. set them to 0) because I jig my stuff up using wood 2x4s framed around what I am surfacing.  Just try plugging in some numbers and doing a dry run without your cutter chucked up.

Look at the Gcode that is generated and you will start to see how the parameters in the wizard effect the cut.  It looks daunting at first but it's really pretty easy after you do a couple.  I like the wizards that say "With tool down the X"  or "With Tool down the Y"  they seem to be a little more complete/explanatory to me.

HTH,
Sid