Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:55:13 PM

Author Topic: motor tuning  (Read 9548 times)

Re: motor tuning
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 04:46:38 AM »
I am retrofitting for first time and can’t get motors turned in whatever I tried.

I think I run through all possible combination of data on Mach3, table moves left and right (I started with X axis first). It doesn’t sound correct whatever I do. I still have old control working and I can hook it back just to compare.

The machine is Dyna 2800 and I have wiring diagram for it. I don’t use Geckodrives, just feed DIR and STEP on original driver board for X axes from corresponding printer port output.

From Dyna 2800 original control motors works beautifully, the movement of every axis is very smooth and dynamic.

If you have any suggestions guys, please let me know.

It looks like I have to probably buy Geckodrives G201, may be Dyna original driver boards don’t get on well with Mach3 signals from parallel port.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 05:01:01 AM »
Your problem maybe a signal jitter or length problem.   Not sure what drives the Dynas has originally.   I know a few people who have retrofitted these, but htye have always dumped the original drives and fitted Gecko's

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 05:02:38 AM »
can you provide me with a link to the fenner type coupling are they simmular to a lovejoy coupling like these
http://www.lovejoy-inc.com/jawtypecouplings.htm

Very similar...  I use this type...

http://www.fptgroup.com/products/hrcjaw.asp

Wayne...
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 06:51:04 AM »
Hi Wayne thanks for the link . I've used these type of couplings ( lovejoy brand) in the past where I worked. They didn't seem to have very close tolerances.  Don't you  get a little play  with these? wouldn't it be simular to backlash? I do agree that they are the way to go as far as aligning the motor and screw though . You say it works  so it must I just assume any chance for any kind of slip is going to equate to backlash. I suppose it could be dialed out with the software though maybe thats the way to go .

Bob 

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 09:03:27 AM »
There is no play, some "give" maybe, but nothing that affects my work.   I work to very close tolerances too.

There is probably more slop in a toothed belt setup than these, but I'd never run a stepper rigid coupled.

The link I gave you was just one of the 1st ones that showed up in a google search.  I just normally buy these from my local bearing suppliers here in the UK.

Usually I have to bore them to fit the shafts in use, and sometimes broach keyways in where needed.