Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 09:14:49 AM

Author Topic: Drive/Power supply Questions  (Read 7660 times)

Re: Drive/Power supply Questions
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »
Hello...Me again,
What does the 11.3A represent on this motor plate ? Is that what I am to use to calculate the PS requirements ?
If so, what does the 65A represent ?
I doesn't look like the leads on this motor could handle 65A.
I am trying to determine what power supply I would need to run 2 of these with mach on a large homemade wood turning lathe. If volts is speed, 100v would be good enough for this app. But the amps....65*2 ? ? ? Can't be right, can it ?
 The biggist toroid I can find is 1500w.                                                                 
I can't find anything close !
RC

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 05:30:53 PM »
The 11.3Amps is your continuous Amps , the 65Amps is you Max.
 In theory you should have a powersupply that can deliver the max that each motor will demand but you will probably get away with less. Your 100v toroidal at 1.5KVA is only giving you 15Amps so its on the low side by quite a bit but there is nothing to stop you getting a few of them and connect in parallel. Your capacatance is going to need to be hefty as well but again you can connect in parallel to get up there.
 Just thinking out loud here and there must be a reason why its a stupid thought but I cant think of it at the moment, apart from no isolation, so I will speak these thoughts:)
You guys in the USA have a mains of 110v do you not? What if you put the mains through a switch to a rectifier and then smoothed the rectifiers output. That way your mains would be your limiting factor for current. Your DC would be 1.41 higher than the mains so that would be just about perfect for your Max of the motor. There must be a reason this is not done, just seems too simple.

Hood
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »
Funny you brought that up...I was thinking the same thing but was afraid to ask about it.
I even looked for just a rectifier, found this but don't know exactly what it is.

Would it be OK to build 2 PS's ? one 1500w for each motor ?
Thanks Hood,
RC

Might just wait for AC.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »
Not sure what that is and with no specs or model number there is not a lot to go on LOL  Looks more like a small power supply to me rather than just a rectifier.
 I still dont see a reason why mains wont do, hopefully someone will jump in and tell me what an idiot I am and that it cant be done for ***** reason.

Yes you could have seperate power supplies for each motor/drive, whether the 15Amps would be suffient,  I dont think it would, I would be inclined to go 45Amps per supply. Obviously things are starting to get expensive with all these transformers, rectifiers and capacitors :(

Hood
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 06:21:01 PM »
I see now what you mean. Maybe I should quit while I'm only out $30.00 for the 2 motors. :(

These should work though. :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 12:15:59 AM by Overloaded »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 06:38:29 PM »
Presume they are capacitors but what voltage/capacitance are they?
Hood
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 12:15:23 AM »
They are labled Siemens capacitors. Not sure of the ratings. I didn't check. 
I figure I'll just let this project die a peaceful death...before I run out of $ just to see smoke.
Thanks Hood,
RC
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:31:15 AM by Overloaded »