Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:57:30 AM

Author Topic: Help Identify Motor Type  (Read 4323 times)

Help Identify Motor Type
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:42:05 PM »
Another motor question ...or 2.
I have several of these Electric Cylinders and a controller to match, but have no docs. and none are available from the mfgr. Too old they say.
The motors were supplied by the customer...no idea who.
I powered the controller and read A+ to A-  =  126VDC
                                                B+ to B-  =    37 VDC    May or may not help.
The motor has 5 wires, 1 being ground.
There is no encoder and no brushes.
It is a PM motor, I can feel it "cogging" when turned by hand.
The mfgr. said that they offered an "N*" unit with a choice of a regular dc motor with limit switches, DC servo, or a stepper.
The "X" in the part # on these, indicates that the motors were supplied by the customer.
I assume that they must be steppers because there is no encoder, and I think a DC motor needs brushes....none here.
So ...if it is a stepper, (which I hope) how can I determine what voltage/amp/driver to use to get the max out of it, or near to it without smoking something ? They look to be real nice axis motors for small machine that I'm planning.
Thanks already,
RC
The controller is of no use to me, the software isn't available to program it....so they say. I want to run them with Mach!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:46:22 PM by Overloaded »
Re: Help Identify Motor Type
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »
The motors are steppers and as for voltage and amps start at 35V and 3 amps and keep adding till the drive or motor start to get warm then back off a little,  thats how I do it. 

The drive looks like a Parker stepper drive if you go to the parker site and look through the pictures of old manuals you might find the same one.  The drive has cc/ccw input you can use that input with step/dir with a little logic.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 12:47:20 AM »
Thanks Dennis,
The mfgr. is Industrial Devices Corp. Looks like Danaher Motion absorbed them. http://www.idcmotion.com/products/cylinders/index.html
I found this also..but it doesn't tell me much.
I would guess the 32 size is what I have.
Pic. 2,
I have 1 of these and a 35v PS. I'll hook them up and see what happens. Is there any danger in setting the amperage on the driver too low ?
Thanks again,
RC
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
Hello,
Can the amps per phase rating of a stepper motor be determined by measuring the coil resistance or something ? Is there a formula or standard procedure to figure it out ?
Thanks,
RC
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:05:34 PM by Overloaded »
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
Dennis, you are absolutely right. The drive is marked Parker on the pcb inside. Upon a closer look, IDC put their lable over the Compumotor label.
That threw me.
Anyway, how could I trick the cw/ccw to accept step/dir. from Mach ?
Thanks,
RC
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:50:01 PM by Overloaded »
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 11:05:19 PM »
You will need something like this:

the forward rev is cc/ccw