Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:13:47 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 Turn... Pro?  (Read 6070 times)

Offline Tef9

•  89 89
    • View Profile
Mach3 Turn... Pro?
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »
If I pay for mach3 pro will there be more features in mach3 turn?

Thanks,

Andy

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Turn... Pro?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 12:36:53 PM »
I don't know - what features do you mean.

I am using the downloaded version of Mach3 Turn and it seems to have everything I want
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
I think Mach3Turn is limited to 500 lines of code and no threading without the license.
RC
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:18:29 PM »
How about a 3rd axis control? I thought about converting my tailstock so I dont have to manualy drill through my stock... It could be set to peck drill. besides, my hobby cnc controller has 3 axis and one is useless on the lathe.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 03:19:24 AM »
I was looking at doing that when (I think it was Dave Waterworth) asked why I want to do that.

If you put a drill holder on your cross-slide (mine is quite a long one), you can drill using the power feed on the cross slide, which saves you the problem of motorising the tailstock. I am putting a second "homing" switch, which brings the drill across to the centre-line.

The easiest way was to mount the "drill" holding block on the cross slide (with a couple of holes to locate it if you need to take it off) and then drill through with, perhaps a 20 mm drill (with the drill in the chuck so it is centred). I was then going to make a selection of drill holders to fit in it, secured by grub screws.

You can have a third axis controller - I have on my lathe - which is actualy a lathe with a milling attachment. Yes - I use "mill" when milling and "turn" when turning, but all the controls are there - they are just not shown on the "turn" screens.

You could soon add the controls for a headstock drill to "turn"

My requirements are modest - so the 500 line Gcode limit does not affect me (yet) - and I haven't found anything else that does.
I didn't know about threading - I have tried in a halfhearted way - on some brass rod - and since I have the spindle controlled, the machine seemed to go through the motions and produce a thread type pattern on the rod, but only seemed to make one pass, with no depth of cut. I didn't have time to pursue it so "put it down for another day"

If you need any help with the screen(s) give me a shout. - I might still motorise my headstock.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:13:30 AM »
Ive been using 3/8 shank bits in my boring bar holder. Some times I need much smaller, I figure a peice of angle,a belt and two pulleys and whamo! the tailstock is motorized. Ive never done "programing" Im not sure if an update could add the axis to turn or if it would be a "hair pulling" task.  I guess Ill try it with "mach mil"l and see how i like it, Ive never been very good at making tool holders. Unless you know where to find a 3/8 shank chuck at a reasonable price, like maybe 2 dollars and a hand shake...lol
Thanks
J

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:26:27 AM »
Ah - are you talking about having the tailstock rotate to do the drilling, or move along the axis in a self feed mode.

If you are drilling you will need a big motor - drilling takes a lot of power.

If you  are using drills in your boring bar holder - then you have the idea - when you say you are not programng yet fine - I assume you are using the jogging keys.

All my drill holder will be is a square block of metal - I will mount it firmly at the back of the cross-slide. I will bring the block across to a know point opposite the chuck (a point I can go to again - hence the homing switch) - and then drill it with a drill in the chuck. I therefore have a hole on the centreline of the lathe. I never thought of drills with standard shanks - that makes it easier - if the hole in the block is the right size. There are macros in Mach 3 for doing most drilling jobs - so - drill the drill holder across, put in a drill and call up the macro !!

You can look at Mach 3 Mill screen - and use it on the lathe - there may be features that you do not need - but it doesn't matter.
All you need do is Configure it for your lathe. The only problem is you won't have access to the lathe wizards - so you would be better to ammend the lathe screens - which doesn't take a lot of doing.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:49:08 AM »
Just moving along the axis in a self feed mode. The programing, I meant creating a program or adding a new turn screen with another axis. I write alot of g-code. I'm real slow with it... with my blistering speed typing at six words a minute. lol.  I have an old cordless drill I think I'm going to pull the chuck and just make a holder for my qctp. If I chuck a bit in it and find the center, will I need to put a switch or can I just do it in the program?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:31:37 AM »
Best thng to do if you have a QCTP and plenty of holders is to have all tools numbered and set up in your tool table. Then when you call any tool and tell it to cut a certain diameter it will do it. Same goes for your drill, every time you want to drill you will just call the X as zero and it will move to the centre, dont see a need for seperate home switches for tools. All of this is presuming you have home switches for your axis.
Hood