Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:43:00 PM

Author Topic: resolver to digital  (Read 8296 times)

resolver to digital
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:07:01 PM »
Are the resolver to digital converter boards on the market compatable with mach.Or should I just start shopping for lineir encoders. thanks Al
Re: resolver to digital
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 09:20:41 PM »
What is the linear encoder for?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »
It a large vmc I have resolvers on xyz, galil 1880 card
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 04:37:12 PM »
So you want to use linear encoders instead of rotary encoders on the motors?  Right now you have resolvers on the motors that feed into the Galil?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 07:23:27 PM »
right now it is not upgraded. I picked up a 8080 galil on ebay.currently there are resolvers.I understand that mach does not do resolvers.So I'm considering these resolver converters on the market.The question is is it worth it.this machine has 24x40 travels so linear encoders are not 25 cents each.I would appreciate any input.Currently shopping for the same.The spherical newals are off patent but finding who else makes them is my chore for today. thanks  Al
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 11:57:04 PM »
I have been keeping an eye out in the hobby community of any news of some one using dual feed back to a cnc controller ie rotary and linear encoders and have not seen any.   I think the most practical solution is rotary encoders on the motors for the cnc controller and if you want to add linear scales as a DRO to verify positioning you can do that. 

Here is a controller that will handle resolvers with Mach3:
http://dynomotion.com/

Look under videos.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 02:09:17 PM »
I think It's solved the galil will take this kind of signal. hopfully it will get back to mach
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »
You mean the Galil will take a resolver signal?  The only thing that can go back to Mach3 is a quadrature encoder pulse but is only use to keep track of position not a real time closed loop servo system the Galil card closes the loop between it self and the resolvers/ motors.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »
Heres what it says in the siemens 810 manual the signal is a +-A,+-b,+-indexer, pulse.This is quadrature I believe?But this is 1989  equipment so It may be different than current standards.Correct me if i'm wrong I don't want to go to far down the wrong road.I do intend to close the loop with galil and use the coml for misc. i/o  thanks AL
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:16:41 PM by asparaguy »

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »
Your signals sound like complementary quadrature. The Galil controller will accept that. Galil does not natively accept resolver signals. A search of their web site comes up with several hardware options for resolver input, but I don't think that You will need them. The giveaway is the marker pulse or +-I. a resolver wouldn't have that.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.