Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:10:50 AM

Author Topic: Using Mach3 as Lathe Dro  (Read 5392 times)

Using Mach3 as Lathe Dro
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:23:19 AM »
Hello Friends, I'm planing to use the mach3 as Lathe DRO, I've seen the screen, but I didn't see how to do some basic things:

In the dro screen, it is posible to change the coordinates manualy?
It is posible to set the focus field with the keyboard? (just to use a numeric keypad near de lathe, and use it to set x,y position without a mouse)

Regards,
Rey

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Using Mach3 as Lathe Dro
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:55:48 PM »
If I am understanding what you intend to do then Mach3 is not designed to do that, it has no direct feed back from your machine.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »
You can connect up encoders or glass scales and they will show in the Encoder DROs on the Settings page (Mach3Mill)
 Its been a while since I had glass scales connected to my mill but I think you can zero or enter numbers into the DROs just by clciking on them and typing but dont know a way of doing so without either a mouse or a touch screen.

Hood
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:04:17 AM »
Hi, thanks with the info, I will try to customize a screen, on the Dro window you can't change current cooridnates, just 0,

Other question its how to configure the index pulse to view RPM's on the sprindle?

Regards,
Rey
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 06:40:55 AM »
Other question more... Can mach3 read the encoder in quadrature mode (4x res) ??

Regards,
Rey

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
You can use an optical switch and a slotted disc for the RPM and just input the signal in to the parallel port. An Index pulse from and encoder is too short in duration for Mach to see through the parallel port.

No Mach only uses A and B so no quadrature.
 The Smooth Stepper board that is being released now reads quadrature encoders but not sure if its implemented yet and in any case if you are just wanting to use Mach as a DRO then it would be overkill for you.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »
With parallel port pins will you recomend to connect the encoders and the index??

Regards
Rey

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 10:59:58 AM »
Yes just put them into the parallel port or get a breakout if you want to be ultra safe. If thge encoders and Index  are 5v then really it shouldnt be a problem.
Hood