Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:20:02 AM

Author Topic: Use Mach3 on two computers and one is connected to CNC machine?  (Read 3354 times)

I'm in the process of building a CNC router in the workshop at the program for mentally handicapped people. The CNC machine is connected to a desktop computer that was given to me. I have my own desktop computer at home and it's not connected to any CNC machines. I wish to use Mach3 program in simulation mode on my own desktop computer so that I can test the code before copying files to USB memory stick, bringing the stick to the other computer, and run the code on the computer that's connected to the CNC machine. Can I do that? Can I copy the Mach3Mill.xml file from one computer to other?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Use Mach3 on two computers and one is connected to CNC machine?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:02:42 PM »
Hi, Jeffmorris

The short answer is Yes, Make a copy of it and use the copy.

If your machine has E-Stop, limit switches, Spindle speed feed-back... "Input" , You'll need to turn them off.

Special Macros if your using any, Need to be copied as well.

Hope this Helps, Chip

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Use Mach3 on two computers and one is connected to CNC machine?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 04:55:31 AM »
Jeff - This is exactly what I do.

I have both computers with the same  xml files (in my case two - one for use with the lathe and the other for use when I have the milling head working.

I sit in my office (front room) where it is nice and warm to write my GCode programs and test them using the tool path window. It is easier to study and think when you are comfortable.

My computers are on a network, so when I am ready I can transfer the GCode across. I also use a USB stick if I need to, and I can't be bothered firing up the workshop computer on the wireless net.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.