Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:39:58 AM

Author Topic: Toroidal transformers vs standard IE  (Read 12429 times)

Toroidal transformers vs standard IE
« on: March 27, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
Has any one found a benefit from using either a Toroidal transformer or standard IE?

Just building another system, larger than the last.
I'm using 3 Pacsci Sigmax E33 65vdc 5.2-5.4 amp motors.
But I have a work area of only 10" x 8"
and mainly milling aluminium.
Drives are the new Gecko G203V. 
cap. 80v  7amp

Thanks,
Brian

KNS

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Toroidal transformers vs standard IE
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 05:36:12 PM »
Toroidals tend to take up less room than the equivilent standard transformer. Also it is easy to add or remove windings from a toroidal if the voltage needs altering.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 05:44:34 PM »
Toroid transformers generate less noise than standard transformers.

My $0.02

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 07:31:51 AM »
covered by Hood and Remberto but...

ain't google the mut's nuts  ;D

"The toroidal transformer has the ideal shape for producing a transformer with the minimum of material. The high efficiency which is obtained with this type of transformer enables it to be conservatively rated without incurring size or weight penalties.

There are no loose laminations or air gaps in the toroidal design which, together with the virtual absence of any external field, makes the toroidal transformer particularly suitable for those applications where electrical and mechanical noise must be kept to a minimum."

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 02:09:50 PM »
Does that answer the question ??? ???
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 04:42:03 PM »
Cool,
I ordered 1 today to use for this system.

1 more question. I don't know if you can answer this but I will ask.
I have 2 Pacific Scientific step motors, both are nema 34, 1 says 65vdc 5.4 amps, the other says 4.8vdc 8.4 amps.
Now, I was told since I am using the new Gecko G203V drives which are rated for up to 80v 7 amps I can use these
motors. The ? is this, the drives are rated for 80vdc and 7amps can I use the motor that is rated 4.8vdc and 8.4 amps?
I was told by Pacsci to just hook them up in parallel and go with it. Do you see any problem with this?
I am going to be using a 54vdc 800 watt power supply with these drives.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Brian

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:01:25 PM »
You can use it at the 7 amps of the Geckos but you wont get the full torque from the motor.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »
? it's a 4 wire motor and from what I'm told it was wound to get more torque out of this than the
regular version. How can I get the most out of this motor? Standard voltage is 65vdc with a amp rating of 5.4

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 09:28:21 PM »
It may be best to look for another more suitable motor than the 65v one. It's been a while since I had to figure this stuff out, but if memory serves correct, you should run between 3 to 25 times the motors rated voltage, 10 times being the most common used. Even at 2X, 130v goes way beyond any hobby driver.

following taken from Phil (PMinMO)
 High speed torque increases as the ratio of the motor power supply to coil voltage increases. If your motor coil is rated 3V it will perform better with a 30V power supply than a 12V power supply. (If you want to understand that more, there is an excellent paper on Geckodrives website.) Bipolar drivers are more expensive, especially as the current and voltage increases. With that consideration, a Unipolar driver that is capable of higher voltage motor power supply, may infact perfrom better than a bipolar driver with a lower voltage power supply.

Ebay was flooded with these high voltage motors for a cheap price when I was looking for motors.  The 4.8v should be a suitable motor. At 50v, your still within spec of the Gecko's. Another thing to keep in mind is if you reach the upper limit of the drivers, at fast deceleration, you will get a backfeed current that can be significantly higher than the drivers voltage specs. My own personal recommendation would be to get 3 motors of the same voltage (or very close) that way its much much easier to build your power supply to suit all of them equally.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
Well it depends on what you want to use the motor for, "torque needed at high rpm or torque needed at low rpm"
My application requires rapids at only 10-12 rpm per sec max.
cutting at 30ipm would be only 1.5 revs per sec
so for my application both the 4.8vdc and the 65vdc motors should work off the same power supply just fine.
My cutting platform is only 8" x 10"
Now that being said: the 65vdc motor used full out should only produce 5.4 amps.
and the 4.5vdc motor used full out I would think at lets say 50vdc  "its 11 times the rated voltage"
the amperage would drop  below the 7 amps right.