Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:45:19 AM

Author Topic: Code wanders off?  (Read 15048 times)

Re: Code wanders off?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 03:21:52 PM »
Also could you tell me where you are running the file from?? are you running from the local hard drive ? Over the network ??
Could I please have your XML as well  :)
Thanks
Brian
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:27:46 PM by Brian Barker »
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »
Brian,

I run from a local hard drive.
I attached my XML file

As I told before I made 200 parts, and 4 or 5 times the system failed (so 98% is OK).
I think this will make it hard to find the problem.

Jan
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 11:46:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies. - Is this the right place for "official" support questions?
Here's my issue detail with code and pictures: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,6380.0.html

Its really odd though that it only goofs up sometimes, and never in the same spot. I'm really gun shy now though because I have broken two tools - even though my hand is on the stop, I never know where its going to happen. Some additional info that should make troubleshooting easier:

I downloaded the latest version of mach3, and installed totally default - no mods of any kind on two different computers (one Mac, one PC, both on Windows XP SP2 with all current updates)
I also re-did the part in my cam software and still get the same result
The part shows correctly in the display, and as the pictures show in the link above, also shows where it wanders off in two of the cases.
Running just the software (i.e. not running my actual machine), it seems to fail about 30% of the time, but I haven't run it a ton of times.
I run the code from the local hard drive. The computer is not network attached, and has a clean install on it, so very little virus potential.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm dead in the water and can't make parts :(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:50:17 AM by Spinnetti »
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 10:49:36 AM »
Hello,
I have only 2 reports of this and so it is very hard to find the problem... I will work to get this fixed as soon as i get back on the 3rd.

Thank you for the XML and I hope this will help to show the trouble!

thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »
Brian,

Any chance to look at this yet? From the info I provided, this is all within Mach3, which should help narrow it down. If I can't fix this, I'm going to have to buy other software which doesn't make me very happy.... I need to cut some parts.....

Thanks.

Hello,
I have only 2 reports of this and so it is very hard to find the problem... I will work to get this fixed as soon as i get back on the 3rd.

Thank you for the XML and I hope this will help to show the trouble!

thanks
Brian
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 12:12:07 PM »
I have run this file 40 times and have had no trouble... I see that you are not using the 1024.set screen.. Could you please test with the 1024 screen and tell me if you have the same trouble? Also I see that you are not running the files on the C drive... Could you please put the file on the C: drive and tell me if this fixes the problem?  The Problem is that it is a memory mapped file :( This is needed to run the VERY large files...
Thanks and all told I have run your file about 60 times with no problem :( I don't think I am going to see the problem but I have a few more machines that I can test on.
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 01:24:20 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for looking at it. I certainly didn't expect you to run it that much. I get it within a few runs. What you are seeing in the pictures I posted is me running it on my Mac (more convenient that going down in the shop). It is on the C drive, though my screen res is 1680x1050. Issue is that when I put the Gcode on my PC which is running the 1024 set, and is certainly on the C:drive (it doesn't even have a floppy or CD drive in it, and no network connection), the result is the same on both my new Mac and my old AMD 1.2gig PC. Any issues running AMD cpus? I've been using it for years without problems until now. What I do is generate the G-code in Mastercam, put on a USB stick then put it on the shop computer. I put it on the Mac to see if I could replicate the problem with a fresh mach 3 download and sure enough, same issue. I still have the crashed part on the mill if you want a pic, and can screen shot on the target computer, but the results are the same on both computers. Can I get older version of Mach to try on? I only need basic functionality anyway. Maybe I should run on Mach 2 or even Master 5?

I have run this file 40 times and have had no trouble... I see that you are not using the 1024.set screen.. Could you please test with the 1024 screen and tell me if you have the same trouble? Also I see that you are not running the files on the C drive... Could you please put the file on the C: drive and tell me if this fixes the problem?  The Problem is that it is a memory mapped file :( This is needed to run the VERY large files...
Thanks and all told I have run your file about 60 times with no problem :( I don't think I am going to see the problem but I have a few more machines that I can test on.
Brian
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:25:53 PM by Spinnetti »
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
I am okay with testing the code for you.. I understand that not having a running machine is of no use to you so that is why I ran it so many times :) I just want to fix the problem... I have an idea where you may be getting this problem from and I will try and have a test rev for you soon... But I am flying blind and this is never a good thing  :o

I should have a new rev out in a day or so... Please set your look ahead to 1 and tell me if you have the same problem..Thanks
Brian

www.machsupport.com
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »
Ok, Where do I set the look ahead? I took a look, but don't see where that is.
Thanks.

I am okay with testing the code for you.. I understand that not having a running machine is of no use to you so that is why I ran it so many times :) I just want to fix the problem... I have an idea where you may be getting this problem from and I will try and have a test rev for you soon... But I am flying blind and this is never a good thing  :o

I should have a new rev out in a day or so... Please set your look ahead to 1 and tell me if you have the same problem..Thanks
Brian

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »
Hi, Spinnetti

Look Ahead is in Config, General Configuration.

Chip