Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:10:38 PM

Author Topic: Steppers stalling occasionally  (Read 2888 times)

Steppers stalling occasionally
« on: March 22, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »
Hi All

Been playing around with Mach3 and my new Taig for some time now but am having problems, i can jog my machine on all axis fine, everything is wired up correctly, driver test gives a clean line with only a few spikes now and then, am running a laptop Dell D600 1.6Ghz 576mB ram, but occasionally the motors just stall every time or they will miss a step.

Settings:

Running on 3 260Oz/In steppers, 50V Drivers

Velocity: 700
Accel: 27
step pulse: 9
on all axis

1/2 Sherline pulse mode is on
Went through Arts XP tweak guide and done all operations!

I took my Taig apart, cleaned and re lubed it, adjusted the gibs to a good spot i feel. When i come to machining a part it will stall either when it rapids or cutting at the calculated feedrate of 298mm/min through aluminium at a 1.5mm pass at 6900rpm. also all of the axis miss steps and mess up my expensive stock.

Can someone Please HELP AAAHHH!! lol :)

Regards

Ryan

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Re: Steppers stalling occasionally
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »
Hi all, hope everyone is doing well!
Ryan, try to set your velocity down some. Start off low and keep increasing till
you have trouble then back down about 20%.
olf20
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Steppers stalling occasionally
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 07:01:51 AM »
Also try adjusting the acceleration as well - acceleration needs POWER - and if this is too high, to get to your 700 - the motors might just baulk at it.

I notice you have the step pulse at 9 - I thought the limit was 5 - but I'm not sure if it makes any difference.

You have probably just tightened the gibbs up a touch more than they were and this is causing the extra drag, particularly at the ends of travel, where there is less wear.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 07:09:47 AM by jimpinder »
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.