Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:24:44 AM

Author Topic: How to get information from tool table Mach3  (Read 5667 times)

How to get information from tool table Mach3
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:11:34 AM »
I would like to know how to get information out of the tool table for use in a tool change macro.

Specifically the tool description.

Mike

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: How to get information from tool table Mach3
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:32:36 AM »
When you initiate a Tool Change, the number of the tool is displayed in the Tool Number display - but I think you know that - are you asking how you get additional information out of the tool table - so that you can , perhaps display it, and choose the correct tool, without having to write the information elsewhere - or do you want the name of the tool displayed on the screen so you can put the correct tool in.

I have my tools in a box in number order - all in quick change holders - so on a tool change M6 the machine stops, moves to a suitable location, and displays the new tool number. It waits until I change the tool, then carries on.

It would be possible to display more information, if the information from the discription box is easily recoverable from the Tool Table. Quite clearly all the offsets are - I don't know about the discription.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:42:34 AM »
Yes something like that.
I have a tool change macro that Requests the router to turn off, measures the current tool, then asks for the new tool to be inserted, at this point I would like to get the tool description for say T9, nine in the tool table to be displayed in the message ie. " change tool to 3.1mm Mill".

Mike

vmax549

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 12:48:33 PM »
In the past you could not access the description from the tool table, But indirectly you could(;-) I'll have to look it up on how we did it. I heard rumor that art was going to fix it but I don't recall if he did or not before he retired,retired.

UPDATE: I see he did get it I believe(;-).    Try         

GetToolDesc()     It will return the description of the tool#  inside the parenthases

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 12:58:11 PM by vmax549 »
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
Thanks TP that solved the problem
Mike
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 05:07:31 PM »
Hi Does anyone know if the same is possible with Work Offset description.

I'd like to use this in a label on the offsets page to remind me what jig to be used with say, G55 offset.

Cheers
John