Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:21:53 PM

Author Topic: offset problem solution?  (Read 4047 times)

offset problem solution?
« on: March 16, 2008, 09:45:43 PM »
Hello all, My first post.
I am new-ish to CNC
I use Corel Draw, Lazyam PRO and MACH3
I have had a terrible time importing DXF files and creating offsets.
It is never the same twice sometimes no offset is created...sometimes an outside is created when an inside is requested.
Sometimes it does both an inside and an out when I request an inside.
Also odd chain/entity combos.
I change my extents and that helps but is not dependable.
Today I downloaded a free cad program called CADSTD on a whim to possibly isolate the problems
After I create my drawing in Corel Draw I export it as a .DXF I then open that saved file with the free CADSTD program I make no changes except directly export the drawing as .DXF again but from CADSTD during the export you are asked a couple of questions like convert wysiwyg style.
I then open the .dxf from CADSTD with Lazycam and have no problems at all. EVERYTHING works with out hassle.
Maybe you guys know what I'm doing wrong from Corel to start with but the "extra" .DXF save seems to do the trick!
Re: offset problem solution?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »
It could be the specific type of *.dxf flie that Corel is saving. Even among users of AutoDesk AutoCAD, there big differences in *.dxf files because of the versions of AutoCAD out there. Your CADSTD program may be taking the *.dxf and saving it as a R12 version of *.dxf and this might be why it is solving the problem.  If you can, always save the file as a Release 12 version of AutoCAD... you'll see it as AutoCAD R12 in most CAD programs. If you do that, your problems may be solved.
Re: offset problem solution?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:34:35 AM »
Hey!

I am using the same set up as you. Corel Draw 12, Lazy Cam Pro and Mach3 and have experienced the same problems.  I don't use .DXF files, although they do work ok.  But have found better success with .PLT files.  Just make sure you save in inches rather then mm.  Also when on exporting the file be sure to click advanced tab and check "remove hidden lines" and "no width or velocity commands".  The "auto weld" should not be checked.

The other problem is with corel draw.  It may appear the all lines are joined as one, but you have to make sure all lines have "closed paths" or "welded together".

The biggest help or trick is to zoom in on the drawing in Lazy Cam before creating an offset.  I am really puzzled by that one, but it works so well I will not offset without zooming in.  I also think that there is a bit of a bug with Lazy Cam when it comes with offsetting.  It just seems too sporadic to always be the user fault.

JonnyElectronny