Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:40:33 AM

Author Topic: Act! - idea for screen design program. Extremely simple  (Read 7607 times)

Act! - idea for screen design program. Extremely simple
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »
For quite a number of years, I have have used Act! which is a basic client contact program. It's a flat file data base and is widely available.

What is so nice about it, and the feature that would work just beautifully for Mach 3, is their screen design feature. You can start with a blank screen, draw the boxes to any size and location, and then assign the data field that you wish to use in that box. It's just that simple. This is exactly how Mach 3 should work in my mind. I've looked at other possible screen design tools for Mach 3 but none of them are anywhere close to how Act! does it's screen designs. I would guarantee that the average user could learn to design a screen inside 20 minutes, and one that would work.

I'm probably dreaming to think that Mach3 could make a deal to use Act's screen designer tool set but there's always hope.

http://www.act.com/
David Morrow

Offline Bodini

•  216 216
    • View Profile
Re: Act! - idea for screen design program. Extremely simple
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »
I always got the feeling that is kind of what Jason is shooting for with Flash.  I know, you just said, "Flash? You're missing the point!".  This kind of Flash screen will use NO Flash on the user end, but you will just drag and drop from inside Mach.  At least thats always what I thought he meant.  :D

-Nick
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 05:47:53 PM »
When I first bought Act!, from the time I opened the box, I designed a complete client management system for our accounting firm in about 2 days. It was far more complex than what I see in the need to design screens for Mach3. I have no programming experience and none was needed as it was all just drag, drop and resize inside Act.
David Morrow

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:33:16 PM »
Yep Act is the way to go...following there guide lines for a Flash screen designer ...hope to have it finished soon...
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 09:04:27 PM »
Yep Act is the way to go...following there guide lines for a Flash screen designer ...hope to have it finished soon...

Zealous, I checked out your website so I suspect that's where I'll find your new screen designer when it's ready. I'll keep an eye out for it. Is it Pack 3 or Pack 4 from your site ? Also, I clicked on Pack 2 but got the Pack 1 info. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not.

Many people seem to like the artificial glare on the buttons and dro's. Personally, I think it's a bit nutty, but that's just me. Will it be possible to design these elements without the glare ? Nice simple, matte finish, rectangular buttons & dro's would be great.
David Morrow

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »
Hi Dave,
Forsure there will be alot to chose from....as well as:

-simple shapes
Primitive shapes that the user can select color, size and effects (bevel, drop shadow EST...)

-Panels
The user could drag any objects they want to be contained in the “panel”.
The “panel” component could have parameters to set functions such as open, close and drag ability.

-Local connection
Will be added next allowing communication to as many external screens as you want

-Custom graphics
A layout for the user to drag and drop there new graphic

and a number of other objects