Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:37:35 AM

Author Topic: Confused about registration  (Read 6734 times)

Confused about registration
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:26:43 AM »
I'm lost.

The Products link on the website says "Mach3 is free for registered users."

The Downloads page says "The Downloads on this page are limited to 500 lines of Gcode until licensed. "

The Purchase page says "Artsoft Software has been developed with an active community of volunteers, testers, and helpful experts who have guided its development over a period of years. In appreciation to this community, the software is offered as a group membership. Once registered, a user is permitted to use all versions of Mach software with one license." and that "When registering, users will receive a personalized, encrypted license file via email which will unlock all versions of the software."

My email inquiry about how to register brought an email response saying "If you click on the Purchase link at www.machsupport.com, that should take you where you want to go... =)"

I can't find any place on the Purchase page that says 'Register'.   :(

The only place I found a registration possibility is on this forum, which I did.

So how does one actually register and receive a license file?

Am I grossly misinterpreting something?

Frank

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:28:14 AM by fkaufman »
If your only tool is a hammer, you will consider every problem to be a nail!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about registration
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:11:40 AM »
Not read the page and from the sounds of your description it may be misleading.
You can download and use Mach without purchasing the licence but you will have certain limits, the max umber of lines of code being one.
 Tio get the full version of Mach you need to purchase  a licence, which I think is around $160, when you do that you will receive a licence file which will unlock Mach to the full version when you place it in your Mach3 folder.
 If you have a licence you can upgrade to any new revisions of Mach3 for free.
 Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »
Hood,

Something is wrong with the logic.

The website says "Mach3 is free for registered users."

If you have to pay to become a registered user then it is not free.

The limited version is there to download without any registration requirement.

So my interpretation is that the limited version is free for anyone, and by registering you get a full version license without a payment.  The only part missing is the way to register.

Frank

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »
OK just read the bit about group membership, what it means is once you have purchased the licence you have the right to use any of the software currently in the Mach group of software, ie Mach1, Mach2 and Mach3 and any upgrades.
 I see where it could be misleading, I think Benny is working on an upgrade to the website but as Mach moves so fast its a thankless task keeping up :)

Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:42:54 AM »
I remember the days when you could go into a garage/gas station and get FREE AIR  ;D

But you had to PAY to use the compressor/electric/maintenance etc  >:(

So on this basis i think it's fair. ;)

Or do you think the program should be totally free or maybe the unregistered users have to pay ?  ;D

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 11:50:59 AM »
Phil;

I was not initiating a discussion on what is fair or not.  All I am trying to do is get a clear understanding of the policy, and I am not getting that from any authoritative source.

I found the info on the website inconsistent and confusing, so I am looking for a clear explanation.  I am not contesting it, just want to have it clear.  I am terribly poor in guessing or reading between the lines.

Frank
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:46:19 PM by fkaufman »
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:08:57 PM »
Hi Frank

If you think free registration/paying is confusing just wait till you get to, steps per rev, ports and pins, programming macros, charge pumps, etc.

Your head will want to explode  ;D

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 12:16:25 PM »
Mach is $159 for the full unlocked version. You can use Mach1, Mach2 or Mach3 with the licence file, you can even use the development version of Quantum with the same Licence file.
 If you are a hobbyist you can use Mach to control any amount of machines you like for that one licence fee, if you are a user that makes a profit from Mach software then Artsoft asks that you have a licence for each machine that is controlled.
 As I said previously the website is old and needing updated and I believe it is in the process of being done. To answer your question about it saying Mach3 free to registered users, that page was done when Mach was Mach2 and Mach3 was at its very beginnings. What was meant was anyone who had a licence could download and use Mach3 for no fee. I agree that it would have been better to say Mach3 free for licenced users rather than registered but Benny is Australian so you must forgive him :D

hood
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »
Oh, they do things differently 'down under'?   :)

Frank

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 01:34:21 PM »
Oh, they do things differently 'down under'?   :)

Frank

They are just different full stop (period to you guys in North America ;) )