Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:43:15 PM

Author Topic: Hot key set up  (Read 6705 times)

Hot key set up
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:26:58 PM »
Hi All,

I am new to CNC and am am having problems in the set up of the DRO's

The tool moves to the right but the DRO counts down the set up says to change the hotkey for the axis jog,

This is done by selecting the Hotkeys in the config Menu.

Now all was OK up to this point but I cannot understand how to change this setting.

I would like to know how this is done.

Thanks in advance

Ragards
Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Hot key set up
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:21:14 AM »
To change a hotkey you click on it, a box will pop up and you then press the key on your keyboard that you want to use for that function.
However you may want to hold on a bit and make sure your keyboard and DRO areĀ  going the right way. If you comand a positive move from the position you are at presently does the table move in the right direction? example if you zero your X DRO then in MDI screen type G0 X1 and press enter does the DRO go to +1 and the table move the correct direction? (for a mill the table would move to left as tool will be moving +ve relative to work)
 If that doesnt happen then you are wanting to reverse your axis by using the reverse in Config>Homing and Limits page.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 03:18:02 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for that all is OK in this matter now.

I have two more questions that I need help on.

1- My machine has no home or limit switches fitted so how can I set the axis extremes to the table size and z axis
to stop the machine running into the end stops. 

2- Can I run Mac3 on windows XP

Thanks again for your help it is appreciated

Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 05:04:32 PM »
You can move all your axis to an extreme and press the Ref all button, make sure you dont have any of the limits enabled in ports and pins though as your axis will start moving trying to look for them. When you have done that go to Homing and Limits and set the X and Y min as Zero and the Z max as zero. Now if you know the travel of your axis set the dimensions in the X and Y max and Z min. If not jog each axis to the other extreme and make sure you are viewing the Machine Coordinates (press the Machine Coords button so RED LED is showing) Take a note of these axis readings and enter them as your X and Y max and Z min.
 Every time you start Mach you will need to move to your axis extreme and press the Ref All button so that Mach knows where the table is. You can enable your softlimits (button on main page below axis DROs) you should now be able to jog towards an axis extreme and Mach should stop before it gets there. You can set up a sow zone so that Mach has time to decelerate before it gets there, my machine has a 5mm (0.2" approx)slow zone but it will depend on your machine how small or large you make this .

Yes Mach is for either Windows 2000 or XP, you can also use Vista but Vista is ............ in my opinion :D
Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 05:42:51 PM »
Yet again many thanks for your help.

I am going to fit limit switches as soon as I can as I think it would be better.

XP it will be then my laptop is well under spec and used windows 2000 but I am changing to my PC to run the CNC

Great forum

Thanks again
Ray
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
Hi.

Me again I seem to be getting there

I can now cut an item  the only problem I now have is the cutting speed is very slow I can increase the speed slightly using the speed manual control override
on the program run screen but not enough to make it a practical cutting speed

The rapid travel between chains is fine but when it starts to cut it is so slow it is taking ages to cut a simple letter L.

I have tried to set the cut speed but my brain is now on overload having not sorted it out.

Can you please tell me where I am going wrong

Thanks in advance

Ray             

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »
cutting speed is controlled in your code, for example if you want to move from where you are presently to X20 Y30 you would command G1 X20 Y30 F50, The F50 means to move at a feedrate of 50mm/min or Inch/min depending on the setup of you machine.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I use Lazy Cam to generate the code so I guess I have not set the feed rate correctly,

Can you tell me in what menu this is set.

Thanks once more.

Ray

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 05:40:13 PM »
I dont use LazyCAM so cant really say but usually in CAM programmes its when you are creating toolpaths etc that you tell it tool size and feeds, speeds etc. Not sure if LazyCAM works that way.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »
Thanks Hood,

Yes that is the same in Lazy Cam but I must have missed the area to set the feed speed.

I will start again tomorrow with a fresh pair of eyes.

Regards
Ray